Home Sport GAA Graiguecullen withstand Killeshin comeback to advance

Graiguecullen withstand Killeshin comeback to advance

A big win for Graiguecullen tonight
A big win for Graiguecullen tonight

Graiguecullen 2-11 Killeshin 0-15

Laois Shopping Centre Senior Football Championship Round 1

Graiguecullen had to withstand a second half comeback from neighbours Killeshin but they managed to get the win in O’Moore Park.

The Barrowsiders held a six point advantage at half time but they saw that whittled down to the minimum on three occasions as they just about held on to win.

Killeshin actually started the game very well. David Aston curled over a free from an outrageous angle.

Ian Fleming replied for Graiguecullen but Killeshin went straight back in front thanks to a brace from Cathal Brennan.

Ambrose Doran hit back for Graiguecullen but Killeshin went three clear by the tenth minute as David Aston repeated his earlier trick with a free from a tight angle and Eoin Lowry added another.

However, disaster soon struck for Killeshin. A short kick-out went wrong and Brian Byrne pounced on it and released Chris Hurley who’s shot went in off the post.

And second later we had another goal. A high ball caused chaos in the Killeshin defence and the ball broke to Ambrose Doran who raced clear and buried the ball in the bottom corner.

Doran and Ross Hennessy then pointed and by the midpoint of the half Graiguecullen led by 2-4 to 0-5.

The sides then traded points as Mark McDermott and David Aston saw efforts for Killeshin cancelled out by Brian Byrne Ross Hennessy.

Keeper Danny Bolger nailed a late free for Graiguecullen to leave them 2-7 to 0-7 ahead at half time.

Killeshin began the second half well with an early Mark McDermott point.

Ambrose Doran hit back for Graiguecullen but Aston replied instantly with a three in a row to leave three between them after 41 minutes.

Aston then kicked another after a sublime ball from Damien Lowry and now we had a game on our hands.

Graiguecullen went almost twenty minutes without a score in the second half but Mark Timmons finally stemmed the tide only for Damien Lowry to hit straight back with a brace with ten minutes to play.

Brian Byrne made it a two point game again after 52 minutes and Killeshin then kicked two poor wides from in front of the goal as their chances began to slip away.

David Aston made it a one point game with his eight point of the evening as we entered the final few minutes of the game.

However, Luke Alsybury restored Graiguecullen’s two point advantage and they held on to win.

SCORERS – GRAIGUECULLEN: Ian Fleming 0-1, Ambrose Doran 1-3 (0-2 frees), Ross Hennessy 0-2, Brian Byrne 0-2, Chris Hurley 1-0, Danny Bolger 0-1 (0-1 free), Mark Timmons 0-1, Luke Alsybury 0-1 KILLESHIN: Cathal Brennan 0-2, David Aston 0-8 (0-6 frees), Mark McDermott 0-2, Eoin Lowry 0-1, Damien Lowry 0-2

GRAIGUECULLEN: Danny Bolger; Bobby Doyle, Mark Timmons, Liam Kearney; Luke Alsybury, Jimmy Bolton, Trevor Collins; Aaron Forbes, Shane O’Neill; Daniel O’Reilly, Ian Fleming, Ross Hennessy; Chris Hurley, Ambrose Doran, Brian Byrne. Subs: Danny Alsybury for Forbes (47mins), Jamie Parr for Hurley (55mins)

KILLESHIN: Shane Coakley; James Davis, Jeremy Mahon, Kevin Ryan; Pauric Bolton, Arnie Mahon, Shane Bolger; Stephen Attride, Eoin Lowry; Evan Lowry, David Aston, Mark McDermott; Simon Attride, Cathal Brennan, Adam Deering Subs: Barry Ryan for J. Mahon (ht), Damien Lowry for Deering (ht), Brian Lowry for McDermott (55mins), Fionn Maher for D. Lowry (56mins, inj), Eoin Scully for Evan Lowry (61mins, black card)

Referee: David Moore (St Joseph’s)

Previous articleA local man is bringing the sound of music to Ballyfin Demesne
Next articleThe Heath topple County Champions Stradbally
Stradbally native Alan Hartnett is a graduate of Knockbeg College who has worked in the local and national media since 2008. Alan has a BA in Economics, Politics and Law and an MA in Journalism from DCU. His happiest moment was when Jody Dillon scored THAT goal in the Laois senior football final in 2016.