Home Sport Soccer Raheen fairytale continues as they reach second cup final

Raheen fairytale continues as they reach second cup final

The Raheen FC side that reached the Division 2 Cup final today
The Raheen FC side that reached the Division 2 Cup final last season

Raheen FC reached their second cup final in one week as they beat FC Killoe 2-1 away this afternoon to reach the Division 2 Cup decider.

The Laois outfit wrapped up the Division 2 league title a couple of weeks ago and last week, they booked their place in the Paddy Cotter Cup final by defeating Monksland United, a team three divisions above them.

Raheen are riding on the crest of a wave at present and they hit the front within the first minute of this one when Darren Brennan put them in front.

And they continued to put pressure on their hosts which yielded a second goal after 28 minutes when Colm Kavanagh got on the end of a lovely passing move to score.

Raheen spurned two excellent chances early in the second half to extend their lead and when Killoe scored from a quick throw, their backs were to the wall for the last 25 minutes.

However some outstanding defensive play from Gearoid Parkinson, Matthew Wallace and Mark McDonald allowed us to absorb anything Killoe could throw at them to reach the final.

RAHEEN: Joseph Walshe; Daniel Butler, Wayne Carter, Mark McDonald, Clive Thompson; Darren Brennan, Matthew Wallace, Gearoid Parkinson, Colm Kavanagh, Cian Moffitt; Mikey Dalton Subs: Niall Gavin, Killian Breen, Joe Delaney and Robbie Moffitt


Rosenallis reached the semi-finals of the CCFL Cup following a 4-2 win over Birr Town.

Clonaslee remained deadlocked at the top of the Premier Division with Clara Town following a 1-1 draw between the pair today.

Both sides sit top with 32 points with one game to play and a play-off may be required to separate them should they both win again.

O’Moores FC kept themselves in with a shout of winning Division 3 by beating Arlington 7-0.

Eoin Fitzpatrick netted four times with Ste O’Loughlin scoring a brace and Paddy Norton getting one more as they close the gap on Highfield United at the top to three points.

Finally, St Aengus reached the semi-finals of the Division 4 following a 2-1 win over Clara Town B.

The Mountrath outfit had Jason McCormack and Gavin Sydes to thank for the goals which saw them advance.