Home Gaelic Football Courtwood GAA Mountmellick see off Courtwood to claim Division 2 title

Mountmellick see off Courtwood to claim Division 2 title

Mountmellick Gaels were relegated from the SFC last weekend but they may now be thrown a lifeline
Mountmellick Gaels were relegated from the SFC last weekend but they may now be thrown a lifeline

Brought to you in association with The Final Furlong

Mountmellick 1-10 Courtwood 0-9

ACFL Division 2 Final

Mountmellick got the better of Courtwood in O’Moore Park this evening to win the Division 2 final.

Both sides finished the game with 14 men after both losing players in the second half – albeit Courtwood had to play for 13 minutes longer than Mountmellick with a player less after Michael O’Connell was red carded.

The game was less then 40 seconds old when Mountmellick opened the scoring after Mark Dowling’s effort hit both posts before going over.

But Courtwood were soon in their stride with Laois forward Niall Donoher kicking them level.

Mountmellick had the game’s first goal chance after five minutes when Niall Mullen’s long range effort was fumbled by keeper Eoin O’Neill but Jason Caffrey diverted the loose ball wide.

But Eoin George did re-establish Mountmellick’s lead after 8 minutes when his shot from 40 metres sailed over.

That was further increased in the 11th minute when Jason Caffrey curled over a free after Niall Mullen was fouled before Colm Coss added another for Mountmellick.

Courtwood just couldn’t seem to get beyond the Mountmellick 45 and the men in blue moved 0-6 to 0-1 ahead by the midpoint of the half thanks to David Kelly and Colm Coss.

And the blue siege continued as Niall Mullen grabbed his first point before Colm Coss chipped in with his third.

Courtwood then had a great chance to snatch a goal when Matt Kelly’s quickly taken free kick picked out Liam Duffy in the parallelogram but he dropped the ball at the crucial moment and Eoin Keogh gathered it before clearing.

But Courtwood’s 26 minute wait for a score finally ended when Brian Hogan dissected the posts and this was quickly followed by one from Alan Kinsella.

And they cut the deficit further through a Brian Hogan free to leave the score at 0-8 to 0-4 at the break.

The Courtwood team who took on Mountmellick in the ACFL Division 2 final
The Courtwood team who took on Mountmellick in the ACFL Division 2 final

Courtwood were dealt a blow on the resumption of play when Mark O’Halloran was black carded but they did register the first score via a Matt Kelly free.

And the gap was down to two points after 37 minutes when Matt Kelly landed a free.

Mountmellick had now gone almost 20 minutes without a score but as the heavens began to open, they got going again as Niall Mullen landed a brace to make it 0-10 to 0-6 after 43 minutes.

And Courtwood’s challenge was dealt a further blow at the midpoint of the half when Michael O’Connell was shown a second yellow and then a red card for a high tackle on Gearóid Hanrahan.

Mountmellick punished them straight away with the game’s opening goal. Niall Mullen and Karl Donoher combined to split the defence before the latter palmed the ball to substitute Darragh Hanlon who fisted it into the net.

Eddie Kinsella’s side kept trying as Matt Kelly and Alan Kinsella left five between them with six minutes to play.

Mountmellick were then reduced to 14 men when Mark Dowling received a red card after picking up a black while already on a yellow card.

Alan Kinsella took his tally to three points for the evening to leave four between them as we entered injury time but there would be no more scores as Mountmellick held on.

SCORERS – MOUNTMELLICK: Jason Caffrey 0-1 (0-1 free), Eoin George 0-1, Colm Coss 0-3, Darragh Hanlon 1-0, David Kelly 0-1, Mark Dowling 0-1, Niall Mullen 0-3 (0-1 free) COURTWOOD: Niall Donoher 0-1, Brian Hogan 0-2 (0-1 free), Alan Kinsella 0-3, Matt Kelly 0-3 (0-3 frees)

MOUNTMELLICK: Eoghan Keogh; Ben Forde, Gearóid Hanrahan, Mick Lawlor; Oisin Morris, Darren Fitzpatrick, Bernard Rochford; Eoin Geroge, Stephen Lynch; David Kelly, Colm Coss, Mark Dowling; Jason Caffrey, Niall Mullen, Karl Donoher. Subs: Gary Fitzpatrick for Morris (33mins), Ethan Lawlor for Rochford (38mins), Darragh Hanlon for Caffrey (41mins), Mark Grennan for Forde (49mins)

COURTWOOD: Eoin O’Neill; Liam Duffy, Andrew Mulhare, Matt Malone; Tom O’Connell, Robbie Flynn, Colm Wilson; Paddy Wilson, Mark O’Halloran; David O’Connell, Niall Donoher, Conor Hogan; Alan Kinsella, Brian Hogan, Matt Kelly Subs: Rory Doyle for Duffy (26mins), Michael O’Connell for O’Halloran (31mins, black card), Liam Hogan for T. O’Connell (50mins)

Referee: David Moore (St Joseph’s)

READ ALSO – Camross strike in extra time to claim ACFL Division 5 title

Previous articleLIVE BLOG: ACFL Division 1A and 2 finals
Next articleFinlay magic sees O’Dempsey’s to ACFL Division 1A glory
Stradbally native Alan Hartnett is a graduate of Knockbeg College who has worked in the local and national media since 2008. Alan has a BA in Economics, Politics and Law and an MA in Journalism from DCU. His happiest moment was when Jody Dillon scored THAT goal in the Laois senior football final in 2016.