Home Sport GAA Portarlington sink 14-man Arles-Killeen

Portarlington sink 14-man Arles-Killeen

A big win for Portarlington

Brought to you in association with the Anvil Inn

Arles-Killeen 0-13 Portarlington 3-10

Laois Shopping Centre Senior Football Championship Quarter Final

Teenager Jordan Fitzpatrick was Portarlington’s hero as his second half goals led his side to the last four of the Laois SFC.

Arles-Killeen had built up a big lead but the dismissal of Donie Kingston midway through the second half changed the game  as they saw a then three point lead evaporate.

Arles-Killeen began like a train and were four points up in as many minutes thanks to Donie Kingston, Jason Enright and Seán O’Shea.

Portarlington finally got off the mark through Kevin McGrath and although Paul Kingston cancelled that score out, Portarlington then had a goal.

A wonderful piece of interplay between brothers Colm and David ended with the latter finding the top corner of the net from the 14 metre line.

However, Killeen responded brilliantly to this set back with points from Enright (2), Shane Julian and Donie Kingston to go 0-9 to 1-1 in front after 20 minutes.

Evan Lyons finally stemmed the tide with a free for Port who had to be thankful to keeper Brian McAuley who kept them in it with a fine save from Paul Kingston.

Donie Kingston kicked his fourth point soon after though and there was five in it once more as we approached half time.

There was time for one more Enright free though as Killen took a 0-11 to 1-2 lead into half time.

Portarlington needed to start the second half well to get back into the game and they did through a David Murphy point.

The same player then kicked another and when his brother Colm landed a free, the margin was back to three.

And it remained so by the 40th minute as Jason Enright and Evan Lyons swapped points.

We then had real drama when Arles-Killeen’s Donie Kingston was sent off following an off the ball altercation with Paddy O’Sullivan meaning they would play the last 15 minutes with 14 men.

O’Sullivan and Johnny Fulham left one in it and the sides were then level as we entered the final ten minutes thanks to Colm Murphy.

Portarlington then sprung teenage sensation Jordan Fitzpatrick off the bench and with his first touch, he ran 40 yards before slipping the ball beneath Mick Leigh for a goal.

Paul Kingston, now on the frees in place of his brother, cut the gap to two with five to play but Port soon had the killer goal.

Again it was that man Fitzpatrick who raced clear of the defense and finished smartly into the bottom corner. Evan Lyons added a free and now there was six in it.

SCORERS – ARLES-KILLEEN: Donie Kingston 0-4 (0-3 frees), Jason Enright 0-5 (0-4 frees), Seán O’Shea 0-1, Paul Kingston 0-2 (0-1 frees), Shane Julian 0-1 PORTARLINGTON: Jordan Fitzpatrick 2-0, David Murphy 1-2, Colm Murphy 0-2 (0-2 frees), Evan Lyons 0-3 (0-3 frees), Kevin McGrath 0-1, Paddy O’Sullivan 0-1, Johnny Fulham 0-1

ARLES-KILLEEN: Mick Leigh; James Mahon, Joe Mulhare, Brian Kennedy; John Mahon, Niall O’Rourke, Enda O’Rourke; Donie Kingston, Conor Keightley; Seán O’Shea, Paul Kingston, Shane Julian; Donie Brennan, Jason Enright, Dermot Julian. Subs: Joe Mahon for D Julian (27mins), Ger McWey for S Julian (35mins), Enda McDonald for Kennedy (44mins, black card)

PORTARLINGTON: Brian McAuley; Diarmuid Bennett, Graham Weldon, Hayden Weldon; Eoin Kennedy, Paddy O’Sullivan, Johnny Fulham; Cathal Ryan, Robbie Piggott; Jason Moore, Colm Murphy, Kevin McGrath; Jake Foster, David Murphy, Evan Lyons. Subs: Jordan Fitzpatrick for Foster (45mins)

Referee: John Flynn (The Rock)