Home Sport GAA Camross crowned Division 1 hurling league champions

Camross crowned Division 1 hurling league champions

2017 county champions and back-to-back league winners Camross are still leading the way in Laois

Camross 1-20 Rathdowney-Errill 2-13
ACHL Division 1 Final

Camross have retained the Division 1 hurling league title following a four point win over 14-man Rathdowney Errill in Mountrath this evening.

Danny Owens’ men were slow to get going and trailed by five points with 23 minutes on the clock.

However, they scored an unanswered total of 1-6 either side of half time to pull ahead and they never looked back from there.

And any realistic chance that Rathdowney had of mounting a comeback ended after 42 minutes when Jordan Kavanagh, who was only on the field three minutes at the time, was shown a straight red card for an off the ball incident.

Mark Dowling had the game’s opening point in the sixth minute and Camross were two ahead after ten thanks to Zane Keenan.

Rathdowney finally opened their account from a Mark Kavanagh free and although that was instantly wiped out by Malvin Moloney, Rathdowney took over.

Mark Kavanagh reeled off four frees in a row to give them the advantage for the first time.

Keenan and Kavanagh then traded placed balls before we had the game’s first goal. Eoin Bourke picked out Eric Killeen and he broke clear before slotting the ball beyond Tadhg Doran.

The sides then traded two each with Camross having a brace of Ciaran Collier points wiped out by David Poynton and Paddy Purcell.

That Purcell point would prove to be Rathdowney’s last for 14 minutes and that scoreless period proved costly.

Darrell Dooley, Mark Dowling and Zane Keenan all split the posts before half time to leave it 1-8 to 0-9 at the break to Rathdowney.

Captain Niall Holmes received th cup from Peter O’Neill

The second half started the way it ended as Keenan, Ciaran Collier and Niall Holmes all scored to give Camross a one point lead.

And that soon became four when Eoin Gaughan’s dropping ball caused pandemonium and Dean Delaney worked it out to Mark Dowling who rattled the net.

Mark Kavanagh finally lifted the Camross siege with a point but Keenan instantly replied and then Rathdowney were reduced to 14 when Jordan Kavanagh saw red.

Mark Dowling and Paddy Purcell exchanged scores but the gap was out to six with ten to play thanks to a brace for Keenan who grew into the game as it went on.

Rathdowney battled on despite their fewer numbers and although Tomas Burke scored for Camross, David Poynton, Paddy Purcell and Paddy McCane all raised white flags for Rathdowney to cut the deficit to four.

Zane Keenan looked to have made the game safe with two more points but when Kavanagh’s 21 metre free was smashed into the net in the first minute of injury time, the margin was down to three.

However Camross didn’t panic and Tomas Burke sent over the game’s final score to leave four in it and send the title back to Camross for another year.

SCORERS – Camross: Zane Keenan 0-9 (five frees), Mark Dowling 1-3, Ciaran Collier 0-3, Tomas Burke 0-2, Darrell Dooley 0-1, Malvin Moloney 0-1, Niall Holmes 0-1.  Rathdowney-Errill: Mark Kavanagh 1-7 (1-6 frees), Eric Killeen 1-0, Paddy Purcell 0-3, David Poynton 0-2, Paddy McCane 0-1

CAMROSS: Tadhg Doran; Andrew Mortimer, Martin Burke, Joe Phelan; Lorcan Burke, Andrew Collier, Malvin Moloney; Darrell Dooley, Matthew Collier; Ciaran Collier, Niall Holmes, Zane Keenan; Mark Dowling, Dean Delaney, Eoin Gaughan. Subs: Oisin Bennett for Gaughan, Tomas Burke for M Collier, Darren Gilmartin for Dooley

RATHDOWNEY-ERRILL: Noel Brennan; Alan Delaney, Jack Kelly, John Keane; Eoin Bourke, Jimmy Corrigan, Joe Fitzpatrick; Shane Dollard, David Poynton; Tadhg Dowling, Eric Killeen, Mark Kavanagh; Paddy McCane, Paddy Purcell, Damien Madden. Subs: Shane Bowe for Dowling, Jordan Kavanagh for Madden

Referee: John Lalor (Shanahoe)

SEE ALSO – An absolutely insanely busy five days of GAA in Laois ahead