Home Sport GAA Graiguecullen have too much for Crettyard Gaels as they reach last eight

Graiguecullen have too much for Crettyard Gaels as they reach last eight

Brian Byrne - Photo Paul Dargan

Brought to you in association with Joe Mallon Motors Portlaoise

Graiguecullen 0-21 Crettyard Gaels 0-10
Laois Shopping Centre SFC Round 3

Graiguecullen became the fifth team to book their place in the quarter finals of the SFC following a fine win over Crettyard Gaels in O’Moore Park this evening.

Padraig Clancy’s men were challenged closely in the first twenty minutes of this one but pulled away in the latter stages of that half and held on well in the second period to win.

There was very little between the teams throughout much of the first half and Jamie Parr got things underway with a free in the fourth minutes for Graiguecullen.

In a half of extremely accurate shooting from both teams, Crettyard drew level via a 45 from Evan O’Carroll and then hit the front for the first time thanks to a screamer from Niall Purcell.

Jamie Parr responded with his second and now it was time for Graiguecullen to lead as Brian Byrne swung over his first of the evening.

Evan O’Carroll, who was now at full forward and being marked by his county colleague Mark Timmons, leveled the game again after 11 minutes – and when he and Brian Byrne traded efforts, we were still deadlocked at the midpoint of the half.

Graigue then hit two in a row via Brian Byrne and Danny Alsybury and this is where the game began to change.

Evan O’Carroll responded for Crettyard Gaels after 19 minutes but they did not score again for the remainder of the half as Graigue opened up a five point lead.

Luke Alsybury, Aaron Forbes, Paul Mulready and Danny Alsybury all raised white flags as Graiguecullen went in 0-10 to 0-5 ahead at half time. Indeed, it could have been even worse only for Crettyard keeper Jeff Moran who pulled off a fine save to thwart Trevor Collins just before the break.

The Gaels needed to start the second half well but instead it was Graiguecullen who got the half’s first score via Jamie Parr’s third free.

Crettyard Gaels had gone 18 minutes without a score and their next one was almost a goal but Evan O’Carroll’s piledriver was palmed over by Danny Bolger.

Graigue restored their six point lead via Jamie Parr and he put seven in it after 40 minutes from a free.

Evan O’Carroll cut the gap with a free and Crettyard Gaels almost had that elusive goal when Patrick Brennan was sent clear but Danny Bolger pulled off another fine save.

Graigue kept scoring down the other end as Danny Alysbury hit his third before Danny Bolger kicked a free from fully 50 metres to put eight between the teams.

Jamie Parr added another point and while Evan O’Carroll replied with his seventh, the gap was nine after 52 minutes thanks to the impressive Brian Byrne.

O’Carroll kept Crettyard going but Trevor Collins and Luke Alsybury kept Graigue ten clear as we entered the final stages.

O’Carroll took his tally to nine before the end but Graigue finished the game with points from Ross Hennessy and Brian Byrne to cap a resounding victory.

SCORERS – Crettyard Gaels: Evan O’Carroll 0-9 (five frees, one 45), Niall Purcell 0-1 Graiguecullen: Jamie Parr 0-6 (four frees), Brian Byrne 0-5, Danny Alsybury 0-3, Luke Alsybury 0-2, Paul Mulready 0-1, Danny Bolger 0-1 (one free), Aaron Forbes 0-1, Trevor Collins 0-1, Ross Hennessy 0-1

CRETTYARD GAELS: Jeff Moran; Sean O’Shea, Paddy Gorman, Cormac Phelan; Michael Nash, Cha Dwyer, Niall Purcell; Evan O’Carroll, Pa O’Reilly; Cormac Murphy, Sean O’Shea, Podge Lawlor; Patrick Brennan, Cristoir Maher, Pierce Nash. Subs: James Brennan for Maher and Phillip Brennan for Phelan (both 44m), Jason Dunne for O’Reilly and Paul Simms for Murphy (both 55m), Michael Jordan for Lawlor (59m), Conor Mulhall for P Nash (59m)

GRAIGUECULLEN: Danny Bolger; Bobby Doyle, Mark Timmons, Martin Doyle; Luke Alsybury, Jimmy Bolton, Trevor Collins; Shane O’Neill, Aaron Forbes; Jamie Sheehan, Jamie Parr, Alan Coleman; Brian Byrne, Paul Mulready, Danny Alsybury. Subs: Dean Malone for Coleman (29m), Ross Hennessy for Mulready (35m, inj), Ambrose Doran for Parr, James Doogue for D Alsybury and Lee Timmons for Bolton (all 59m)

Referee: Eddie Kinsella (Courtwood)

SEE ALSO – O’Dempsey’s and Ballylinan must meet again following thrilling Laois SFC draw