Home Sport GAA Wins for Portlaoise, Graiguecullen and St Joseph’s in Sunday’s Division 1A action

Wins for Portlaoise, Graiguecullen and St Joseph’s in Sunday’s Division 1A action

Laois GAA

Following on from The Heath’s win over Arles-Kilcruise yesterday, the remaining three Division 1A games in Round 2 were played this afternoon.

They were all close affairs which saw both Portlaoise and St Joseph’s strike late to win while Graiguecullen also defeated Ballyroan-Abbey for their first win of the season.

Here is a run down of how all three games went:

Portarlington 2-10 St Joseph’s 2-13

St Joseph’s waited until the final five minutes of this game to turn things around and claim their first victory of the season.

Martin Murphy’s Portarlington, who were also seeking their first win after losing to Ballyroan-Abbey in Round 1, flew out of the traps and led all the way through until the first minute of second half injury time.

They had been reduced to 14 men with two minutes of normal time to play after Ronan Coffey was sent off for an off the ball incident and then their misery was compounded in injury time as points from Seamus Farrelly, Colin Campion, Enda Butler and Ian Dempsey snatched the win for St Joseph’s.

Portarlington started brightly as goals from Jake Foster and Laois U-20 vice-captain Colin Slevin, who would go off with what looked like a nasty injury after being shoved into the advertising hoarding near the end, settled them into the game.

St Joseph’s responded with points from Seamus Farrelly, Brian Daly and Peter Kealy but Port were playing good football as Foster, Slevin and Jason Moore all pointed to put them 2-6 to 0-4 ahead at the break.

St Joseph’s needed to start the second half well and they did as Conor Kealy struck for a goal in the opening seconds of it.

The sides then traded points until five minutes from the finish when Peter Kealy bagged the game’s fourth goal to narrow the deficit to the minimum.

Seamus Farrelly tied the game in the first minute of second half injury time before Enda Butler, subs Colin Campion and Ian Dempsey all pointed to bring the two points back to Kellyville.

SCORERS – ST JOSEPH’S: Peter Kealy 1-2, Seamus Farrelly 0-3, Conor Kealy 1-0, Brian Daly 0-2, Josh Lacey 0-2, Ian Dempsey 0-2, Colin Campion 0-1, Enda Butler 0-1 PORTARLINGTON: Jake Foster 1-3 (one free), Colin Slevin 1-2, Jason Moore 0-1, Stephen Lyons 0-1, Adam Ryan 0-1, Daragh Galvin 0-1, Ronan Coffey 0-1

ST JOSEPH’S: Ray Kealy; Willie McDonald, Tom Dunne, Niall Brennan; Josh Lacey, Jack Lacey, Dean Brophy; Bernard Wheatley, Brian Daly; Peter Kealy, Enda Butler, Mikie Dempsey; Seamus Farrelly, Noel Garvan, Conor Kealy. Subs: Colin Campion for Brophy, Noel Leech for Daly, Ian Dempsey for C Kealy

PORTARLINGTON: Jack Whelan; Dean Foster, Diarmuid Bennett, Eoin Kennedy; Alex Mohan, Cathal Ryan, Graham Weldon; Sean Michael Corcoran, Adam Ryan; Chris Booth, Jason Moore, Colin Slevin; Stephen Lyons, Ronan Coffey, Jake Foster. Subs: Daragh Galvin for Booth, Hayden Weldon for Lyons, Cathal Bennett for G Weldon, Mikey Bennett for Slevin

Referee: John Murphy (Crettyard)


Graiguecullen 1-13 Ballyroan-Abbey 0-9

Graiguecullen are off the mark in Division 1A as a fine second half performance saw them carve out a seven point win over Ballyroan-Abbey this afternoon.

There was nothing to split these two in the first half but a second half Brian Byrne goal gave Graigue the advantage and they built on that as they half progressed.

Ballyroan-Abbey relied entirely on MJ Tierney and Scott Conroy for scores and the duo managed three each in the first half.

Graigue keeper Danny Bolger notched a first half brace while Luke Alsybury, Shane O’Neill, James Doogue and Brian Byrne also raised white flags to leave things level at 0-6 apiece at the interval.

MJ Tierney added two more to his total in the second half for Ballyroan while Conroy kicked another but that was all they could manage.

Brian Byrne struck for the all important goal while full forward Dale Byrne also reeled off three impressive points as the home side won by seven in the end.

SCORERS – GRAIGUECULLEN: Danny Bolger 0-4, Dale Byrne 0-3, Luke Alsybury 0-1, Shane O’Neill 0-1, James Doogue 0-1, Brian Byrne 1-1, Michael Hand 0-1, Luke Hand 0-1 BALLYROAN-ABBEY: MJ Tierney 0-5, Scott Conroy 0-4

GRAIGUECULLEN: Danny Bolger; Eoin Alsybury, Shane Alyward, Martin Doyle; Luke Alsybury, Brian Byrne, Paul Mulready; Ross Alcock, Shane O’Neill; James Doogue, Mark Doogue, Jamie Sheehan; Aaron Forbes, Dale Byrne, Ross Hennessy. Subs: Luke Hand, Michael Hand, Jimmy Bolton

BALLYROAN-ABBEY: Andrew Bonham; Cian Moffitt, Gavin Tynan, Mark McDonald; James Whelan, Padraig McMahon, Liam Delaney; Shaun Murphy, Cathal Doyle; Aaron Carroll, Scott Conroy, Stephen Thompson; MJ Tierney, Mark McDonald, Colm Walsh. Subs: Ciaran Carroll for Thompson, Aaron McEvoy for Dunne, John Rogers for Walsh, Robert Wall for Delaney

Referee: Joe Brennan (Crettyard)

Portlaoise 2-14 O’Dempsey’s 2-12

Portlaoise came out on top of this meeting between last year’s two county championship finalists in Rathleague today.

Two Bruno McCormack frees proved the distance as Portlaoise maintain their winning ways heading into the third round of the league.

Bryan Nugent got the ball rolling for O’Dempseys, raising the white flag after only two minutes.

A 45′ Matthew Finlay followed a similiar suit shortly afterwards before Portlaoise got two points on the scoreboard in the sixth and seventh minutes.

The Finlays lorded the full-forward line, with Michéal scoring from play and Matthew following up with a free afterwards.

Portlaoise came into their own after that – David Holland scoring a goal and the Town added two points to go three points ahead before Matthew and Michéal added a point a piece.

Jason Maher followed up with a second goal after 23 minutes before Daniel McCormack got the green flag waving for O’Dempseys just before half-time.

A Matthew Finlay free just before the interval made it Portlaoise 2-7 O’Dempseys 1-8.

There was no score for the opening eight minutes of the second half before Barry Kelly earned his place on the scoreboard with two from play.

A Michéal Finlay goal sent O’Dempseys three points into the lead before Portlaoise cut this with three points – with John Kavanagh levelling the game.

Both sides traded scores before two crucial frees from McCormack left Portlaoise two in the clear and narrow victors today.

PORTLAOISE: Richie Downey; David Holland, Brian McCormack, Paddy Downey; Chris Finn, Gary Saunders, Colin Finn; Ciaran McEvoy, Dean Cullen; Ronan McEvoy, Damon Larkin, Jonathan Rafter; Ricky Maher, Bruno McCormack, Jason Maher. Subs: John Kavanagh, Ross Brennan, Craig Scully, Kevin Fitzpatrick, Mikey Dowling

O’DEMPSEYS: Eugene Nolan; Ciaran McManus, Peter O’Leary, Keith Kavanagh; Tom Kelly, Robbie Kehoe, Tommy Kehoe; Rory Bracken, Barry Kelly; Barry Howlin, Conor Meredith, Bryan Nugent; Michéal Finlay, Daniel McCormack, Matthew Finlay. Subs: Eoin Cunningham for C McManus, Liam Whelehan for B Nugent

Referee: Des Cooney (St Joseph’s)

SEE ALSO – Laois’s St Brigids crowned Leinster camogie league champions

Previous articleClare just pip past Laois Ladies in national league battle
Next articleWearing sandals on nights out, shop mishaps and praise for Portlaoise Hospital– it’s all in our Tweets of the week