Home Sport GAA Foyle on form as Park-Ratheniska/Timahoe claim historic first hurling title

Foyle on form as Park-Ratheniska/Timahoe claim historic first hurling title


Park-Ratheniska/Timahoe 2-17 Castletown 2-15
Laois Shopping Centre ACHL Division 3 Final

Robbie Foyle helped himself to 12 points as Park-Ratheniska/Timahoe – the newest club in Laois – claimed their first piece of silverware thanks to a two-point win over Castletown in the ACHL Division 3 final in Colt this evening.

This is just the second season since the two clubs joined forces and while their first year ended on a disappointing note and relegation from the intermediate championship grade, they’ll take great hope from this success ahead of their bid to win the junior championship.

Castletown had a decent team with a nice spread of players who’ve played plenty of senior hurling.

Patrolling the Park-Ratheniska/Timahoe sideline as manager, however, was Castletown great David Cuddy which added an extra dimension to a fixture that delivered a right good contest.

Two goals in a minute midway through the first half laid the foundation for Park-Ratheniska/Timahoe’s win.

The first came from Ciaran Lennon just moments after he’d come on as a sub for the injured Sean Tynan.

Lennon made a right nuisance of himself running at the heart of the Castletown defence and he somehow bundled the sliotar over the line for the game’s first goal.

Within less than a minute they’d the ball in the net again, this time a brilliant finish from Ruairi O’Connor after excellent work and a fine delivery from Geoff Kennedy.

With Padraig Kelly, Jimmy Langton and Foyle all adding fine points from play and Foyle one from a free also, it left Castletown trailing 2-4 to 0-2. Both of their scores came from full-forward Gearoid Gaughan, who finished with 1-10 and had a fine evening on the frees.

Castletown were always playing catch up after that – though they made a game of it.

Gaughan got a couple of frees to settle them and Paul Croke and James Mullaney pointed from play either side of cracking long-range point from Padraig Kelly.

Kelly and Foyle (free) restored Park-Ratheniska/Timahoe’s lead but two quick-fire goals from Castletown – from Paul Croke and then Gaughan – and a point from James Hooban had the sides level coming up to half time.

Robbie Foyle hit back with a free though and Park-Ratheniska/Timahoe led 2-8 to 2-7 at the end of an entertaining opening 30 minutes.

The second half developed into a bit of a shootout between Foyle and Gaughan with Joe McCormack and Paul Croke adding points for Castletown and Michael Brennan getting one for the winners.

Castletown could never get closer then two points and they saw a late effort on goal for an equaliser go over the bar.

After the game, Monica Delaney, representing Laois County Board, presented the cup to winning captain Jimmy Langton.

A notable occasion for the new club – but they’ll hope it’s only the start of things to come.

Park-Ratheniska/Timahoe open their championship campaign away to Rathdowney-Errill on Sunday week while Castletown take on Borris-Kilcotton next Friday.

SCORERS – Park-Ratheniska/Timahoe: Robbie Foyle 0-12 (nine frees), Padraig Kelly 0-3, Ruairi O’Connor 1-0, Ciaran Lennon 1-0, Jimmy Langton 0-1, Michael Brennan 0-1. Castletown: Gearoid Gaughan 1-10 (0-9 frees), Paul Croke 1-2, James Hooban 0-1, James Mullaney 0-1, Joe McCormack 0-1

PARK-RATHENISKA/TIMAHOE: Ger Ramsbottom; James O’Connor, Martin Kelly, Joe Foyle; Geoff Kennedy, Gavin Tynan, Brian Fingleton; James Langton, Brendan Fingleton; Padraig Kelly, Paddy Kelly, Sean Tynan; Michael Brennan, Robbie Foyle, Ruairi O’Connor. Subs: Ciaran Lennon for S Tynan (injured – 12), Benny Dowling for R O’Connor (50)

CASTLETOWN: Mick Cuddy; Kieran Phelan, Adrian Dollard, Cillian Phelan; Luke O’Grady, Tadhg Dooley, Conor Walsh; James Mullaney, Adam Poole; Joe McCormack, Brian Ferns, Paul Croke; James Hooban, Gearoid Gaughan, Kevin Carroll. Subs: Michael Butler for Poole (HT), Seamus Lyons for Ferns (51)

REFEREE: Padraig Dunne (Colt)

Elsewhere, the ACHL Division 2 final between Camross and Borris-Kilcotton in Mountrath was abandoned early in the second half due to a fight breaking out between the two teams.

Camross had been leading 1-4 to 0-5 at half time.

Referee JJ Gorman opted to call the game off when the trouble broke out and Laois GAA will await his report before deciding on action.

Both teams are due to begin their intermediate championship campaigns next week – Camross against Ballypickas and Borris-Kilcotton against Rathdowney-Errill.

SEE ALSO – Laois senior hurling team named for All Ireland quarter-final clash with Tipperary