Home Gaelic Football Club Football 14-man Clonaslee see off Timahoe to keep intermediate hopes alive

14-man Clonaslee see off Timahoe to keep intermediate hopes alive

The Laois Ladies senior footballer championship has been delayed following an appeal

Brought to you in association with Sammy Kelly Builders

Clonaslee St Manman’s 1-9 Timahoe 0-10
Laois Shopping Centre IFC Round 2

Clonaslee are back in business in the Laois IFC following tonight’s hard-earned win over Timahoe in Portarlington.

But Timahoe must now win a relegation final or avoid dropping to junior football in 2020.

Both sides were considered among the contenders for the intermediate title before the start of the season but opening round losses left them in last-chance saloon.

Clonaslee, however, are the ones that can look forward to a quarter-final in two weeks time as a second-half goal from Bob Downey proved vital.

Clonaslee had played with the wind in the opening half and although 0-6 to 0-4 up at the break, they had to play the entire second half without Glen McEvoy who was sent off late in the first half after picking up two yellow cards.

Two frees from Niall Corbet and one each from Sean Dunne and Liam Senior had Clonaslee 0-4 to no score up before Timahoe registered their first point from Brendan Quigley in the 17th minute.

Colm Dunne added a free for Timahoe but Clonaslee restored their four-point advantage with points from Corbet and Mark McEvoy before Timahoe closed out the half with points from Martin Bergin and Colm Dunne free leaving two in it at the break.

One of the big moments of the half, however, came when Glen McEvoy was sent off by referee Clifford Ward and they had to face into the wind in the second half with a man less.

Within a couple of minutes of the restart, Timahoe were level. A great run from O’Connor set Conor Whelehan up for a point and the O’Connor pointed himself to have the sides level by the 37th minute.

Ruairi O’Connor hit a point within a minute of coming in to put Timahoe into the lead for the first time and although Corbet cancelled it out with a free, Timahoe went ahead again when Colm Dunne pointed from play.

But Clonaslee then struck for the game’s first goal when Bob Downey palmed to the net after a pass from Sean Dunne.

Dunne then added a point straight away and suddenly Clonaslee were three clear.

Ruairi O’Connor and Mark O’Connell pulled back points to bring the deficit back to one before Jack Owens struck a great point for Clonaslee with two minutes remaining.

And that was enough Clonaslee to see it out. They will now go on to play either The Rock or Mountmellick (should Mountmellick lose to Portlaoise) in the quarter-final.

Timahoe will now have to beat the losers of Annanough and St Joseph’s in the relegation final to preserve their intermediate status.

SCORERS – Clonaslee-St Manman’s: Niall Corbet 0-4 (all frees), Bob Downey 1-0, Sean Dunne 0-2, Liam Senior 0-1,Jack Owens 0-2, Mark McEvoy 0-1. Timahoe: Colm Dunne 0-3 (two frees), Ruairi O’Connor 0-2, Brendan Quigley 0-1, Martin Bergin 0-1, Conor Whelehan 0-1, Damien O’Connor 0-1, Mark O’Connell 0-1

CLONASLEE ST MANMAN’S: Barry Kelly; Ciaran Fitzgerald, Willie Young, Mark McEvoy; Liam Senior, Jack Owens, Diarmuid Conroy; Ger Reilly, Willie Murray; Darren Hogan, Sean Dunne, Niall Hogan; Patrick Hyland, Niall Corbet, Glen McEvoy. Subs: Michael Hyland for Murray (35), Bob Downey for Fitzgerald (35), Cian Barrett for S Dunne (injured – 51)

TIMAHOE: Eoin Culliton; Joe Foyle, Andy Daly, James Whelehan; James O’Connor, Damien O’Connor, Martin O’Connor; Brendan Quigley, Michael Kerr; Joe O’Connor, Martin Bergin, Colm Dunne; Conor Whelehan, Michael Kennedy, Mark O’Connell. Subs: Ruairi O’Connor for J Whelehan (injured – 38), John Lowry for M O’Connor (51), Colm Lalor for Kerr (51), Sean Ramsbottom for Bergin, Padraig Clancy for Kennedy

REFEREE: Clifford Ward (Portarlington)

SEE ALSO – Rosenallis prove too strong for The Rock in Laois IFC Round 2

SEE ALSO – Check out all our coverage of the Laois IFC here