Home Gaelic Football Club Football Killeshin and Park-Ratheniska to meet again after finishing level in dogfight

Killeshin and Park-Ratheniska to meet again after finishing level in dogfight

Brought to you in association with Sammy Kelly Builders

Park-Ratheniska 0-12 Killeshin 2-06
Laois Shopping Centre JFC Round 2

Park-Ratheniska and Killeshin will have to do it all over again after finishing level in a dogfight of a contest in terrible weather conditions in Ratheniska.

The game was only 30 seconds old when Brian Fingleton opened the home side’s account, and they could’ve had a goal minutes later, a brilliant save from Shane Whelan denying Brian Dunne.

Fingleton again and DJ O’Connell were both on target to extend their side’s lead to three, but Niall Brennan got Killeshin off the mark in the tenth minute, and they jumped in front just a minute later, Leeson Hughes finishing to the net, despite Park-Ratheniska keeper Denis Cranny getting a touch.

Moments later, Park-Ratheniska could’ve had a goal of their own with a shot from Kieran Delaney hitting the crossbar, but they went back in front with four unanswered points from Cathal Óg Greene, Delaney, Brian Dunne and a free from O’Connell to lead by three after twenty minutes.

Cathal Byrne grabbed a point to keep the visitors in touch, but O’Connell converted another free to keep Park-Ratheniska in control. A point from Aaron McGrath just before half-time cut the deficit down to two, Park-Ratheniska leading 0-08 to 1-03 at the interval.

Delaney was on target with another free for Park-Ratheniska five minutes after the restart, but Patrick Walsh kept Killeshin in touch with another point to reduce the gap back down to two.

Killeshin had a brilliant goal opportunity squandered soon after when Walsh broke through Park-Ratheniska’s defence, Cranny in goal making a brilliant save, and a spectacular long-range effort from Brian Fingleton making it’s way over the bar extended their lead to three once again.

Two minutes later, a shot from Walsh from the twenty-one flew into the bottom right corner past Cranny, to bring it back to a level game once again entering the final quarter.

Podge Dunne put Park-Ratheniska back in the lead four minutes later, but two points from Walsh in quick succession, including a phenomenal long-range effort out from the sideline put Killeshin in front with five minutes remaining.

O’Connell was on target again with another free to bring the sides back level once again, and Park-Ratheniska could’ve extended that lead to three in the last minute of normal time when Paddy Kelly pounced on a loose ball, but Whelan again descended quickly off his line to block the shot.

O’Callaghan hit the resulting 45′ to the left and wide, and Killeshin had a chance to win it with the last kick of the game, when Gerard Kelly went for another long-range shot, which dropped short into Cranny’s arms to end it in a draw.

SCORERS – Killeshin: Patrick Walsh 1-3, Leeson Hughes 1-0, Niall Brennan 0-1, Cathal Byrne 0-1, Aaron McGrath 0-1 Park-Ratheniska: DJ O’Connell 0-4 (three frees), Brian Fingleton 0-3, Kieran Delaney 0-2, Cathal Óg Greene 0-1, Podge Dunne 0-1, Brian Dunne 0-1

KILLESHIN: Shane Whelan; Stephen Moran, Adam Brennan, Alan Davis; Niall Brennan, Kevin Brennan, Cathal Byrne; Eddie Hand, Aaron McGrath; Owen Scully, Gerard Kelly, Colin Dunne; Liam Doran, Patrick Walsh, Leeson Hughes. Subs: Evan Galligan for Liam Doran, Paschal Brennan for Eddie Hand, Gavin Brennan for Colin Dunne

PARK-RATHENISKA: Denis Cranny; Benny Greene, Mark Delaney, Benny Dowling; Sean Tierney, Stephen Hitchcock, Keelan Barry; Brian Fingleton, Cathal Óg Greene; Sean Tynan, Podge Dunne, Paddy Kelly; DJ O’Connell, Brian Dunne, Kieran Delaney Subs: Bryan Flanagan for Brian Dunne, Mark Delany for Keelan Barry

REFEREE: John Murphy (Crettyard)

Elsewhere this evening, last year’s beaten finalists O’Dempsey’s booked their place in the quarter-finals thanks to a 1-16 to 0-11 win over The Heath.

O’Dempsey’s go straight through the quarter-finals alongside Castletown, Ballyroan-Abbey and the eventual winners of the Killeshin v Park-Ratheniska fixture.

A Round 3 set of fixtures will decide who will advance to meet them in the last eight.

Round 2 losers

  • The Heath
  • Losers of Park-Ratheniska v Killeshin
  • Portlaoise
  • The Harps

Round 2 Qualifier winners

  • Kilcavan
  • Spink
  • Barrowhouse
  • Camross

SEE ALSO – Check out all the Laois JFC coverage here