Home Hurling Club Hurling Colt’s second half display sees them earn first win of SHC ‘A’...

Colt’s second half display sees them earn first win of SHC ‘A’ over Clonaslee St Manman’s

Colt 3-15 Clonaslee St Manman’s 2-8
Laois Shopping Centre Senior ‘A’ Hurling Championship Round 2

Colt have bounced back from their opening round defeat to Mountrath by sealing a high scoring win over Clonaslee St Manman’s in Ratheniska tonight.

Colt’s second half display marked the difference as they pushed on to convert 2-7, while Clonaslee converted just three within that time period.

Laois U20 James Keyes at centre-forward proved the fulcrum in his team’s attack tonight, while Cian Moffitt on the wing provided palymaking abilities and a number of scores.

The teams went in even keel at the half-time break, but Colt shrugged off an inconsistent first 30 minutes, and began using the space and width of the field in the second half, which suited Pj Moffitt’s side down to the ground.

Colt were first off the mark via Seán O’Callaghan, opening the scoring after a minute of play.

Clonaslee kept it in through frees – Ciaran Hyland tentatively striking two over the crossbar from the 45 on the second and sixth minutes.

Chris Murray sailed his first shot from just past the midfield to give Colt their second – and the scoring stalled for number of minutes from there.

Clonaslee certainly dominated under the opposition’s puckouts, but will be disappointed with the amount of wides struck – seven coming from accessible angles in the opening half.

Colt’s half-back line were the catalysts for much of their attacks – overturning possession to find the likes of Murray and Owen Joyce in scoreable positions.

Murray added his second of the evening after Enda Mulhall delivered the ball off to his midfielder, before Owen Joyce rasped the ball into the back of the net to make it 1-4 to Colt just past the 10 minute mark.

A Brian McDermott point came before Clonaslee worked up their second conversion – Glen McEvoy setting up Liam Senior beautifully for the midfielder to fling the ball into the bottom of the net.

James Keyes responded by raising the white flag from the following puckout, and from here, the sides would go back and forth with scores.

Diarmuid Conroy lay off the sliotar to Patrick Hyland to convert, before Owen Joyce saw his effort from the wing ping off the crossbar and go over – Moffitt setting up his man inside.

Senior and Murray traded frees before Moffitt caught a wayward pass coming out of Clonaslee’s half-back line to make it 1-8 to Colt.

However Clonaslee regained composure. Tommy Tynan grasped the sliotar from the Colt puckout and found Glen McEvoy, who laid off the ball to Conroy for Clonaslee’s second goal.

A Senior point on the cusp of half-time saw the sides go in level at the break; Colt 1-8 Clonaslee St Manman’s 2-5.

The second half could be generously deemed a ‘slow burner’ at first, although James Keyes was making strides at breaking through the Clonaslee defence.

Cian Moffitt re-established Colt’s before Keyes doubled it to two points, the U20 leading by example for his side.

Colt hauled themselves further into the lead with Murray notching over two frees, while the duo of Keyes and Moffitt solidified the point of the game – Keyes dominating in the air and cancelling out the Clonaslee defence to set up his wing-forward to curl the sliotar over the bar.

Clonaslee had not scored yet in the second half, and were making little headway against the Colt defence. They finally cut the scoring haitus with a Glen McEvoy point, and William Young effort from just past the midfield.

With just three points now remaining between the sides, Colt ramped it up a notch.

James Keyes stood over a sideline which he send hurtling into the square, with Owen Joyce on the end of it to kick in the goal.

From here Colt looked to have the game wrapped up. Points from Sean O’Callaghan and Chris Murray made it 2-15, before Arran McGowan sent in a ball from the half-back line into his full-forward line, with O’Callaghan on the mark to tipple in the goal.

A close-range free from Senior marked the last score of the game as Colt finished 10 point victors tonight – 3-15 to 2-8.

SCORERS – Colt: Owen Joyce 2-1, Sean O’Callaghan 1-2, Chris Murray 0-6 (0-4 frees), Cian Moffitt 0-3, James Keyes 0-2 Clonaslee: Liam Senior 1-3 (0-2 frees), Diarmuid Conroy 1-0, Ciaran Hyland 0-2 (0-2 frees), Patrick Hyland 0-1, Glen McEvoy 0-1, Willie Young 0-1

COLT: Paudie McDonald; Mick Farrell, Ger Doolin, Eoghan Brennan; Arran McGowan, Henry Keyes, Niall Brennan; Gearoid Parkinson, Chris Murray; Enda Mulhall, James Keyes, Cian Moffitt; Sean O’Callaghan, Owen Joyce, Brian McDermott

CLONASLEE: Conor Gorman; Jonathan Carroll, Conor Hyland, Mark McEvoy; Michael Hyland, Willie Young, Rory Conroy; Liam Senior, Diarmuid Conroy; Glen McEvoy, Tommy Tynan, Robert Downey; Patrick Hyland, Ger Reilly, Ciaran Hyland. Subs: John Rowney for D Conroy (18 minutes), William Murray for M McEvoy (24 minutes), Cian Barrett on for J Rowney (injured – 32 minutes), Oisin Murrray for J Carroll (42 minutes)

Referee: Kieran Bowe (Rathdowney-Errill)

SEE ALSO – Bergin on form as Clough-Ballacolla advance to knockout stages of Laois SHC