Home Sport GAA Clough-Ballacolla edge out Rathdowney-Errill to reach IHC semi-final

Clough-Ballacolla edge out Rathdowney-Errill to reach IHC semi-final

The new fixtures for the hurling championships are here

Clough-Ballacolla 2-12 Rathdowney-Errill 1-14
Laois Shopping Centre IHC quarter-final

Clough-Ballacolla will play Camross in the Laois IHC semi-final following a narrow win over Rathdowney-Errill in the quarter-final this evening in Borris-in-Ossory.

In a repeat of the Division 1A league final, Clough-Ballacolla got their revenge by the narrowest of margins.

The game started brightly with Enda Meagher knocking over a point for the losers inside 30 seconds. From the puckout Cathal Dunne found Brendan McEvoy who in turn found  Shane Hanlon who turned his marker and buried the ball in the net for Clough-Ballacolla. All inside the first minute.

Rathdowney-Errill responded with a point for Eoin Burke, a goal by Enda Meagher and a Thep Fitzpatrick free.

Jim Doyle knocked over a great point after outstanding work by his backs. Rathdowney-Errill added two more points to lead by four points after16 minutes.

However, Damien Bergin with a free and a Chris Rafter goal drew the sides level. Rathdowney Erril tagged on five more points to Clough-Ballacolla’s two to leave Rathdowney-Errill leading 1-11 to 2-5 at the break.

The second half saw the winners take command of all areas of the field. They scored seven more points with four frees and a point from Damien Bergin and a point apiece for Aidan Doyle and Ciaran Finane.

Rathdowney-Errill had a penalty in the 35th minute that was easily saved but Cathal Dunne and they didn’t register a score until the 58th minute with a free from Thep Fitzpatrick. He tagged on two more to finish the scoring but it wasn’t enough as Clough-Ballacolla held on.

Clough-Ballacolla will be relieved to have held on in the end and can look back on a good all round team performance.

Rathdowney-Errill will be asking themselves what went wrong from the first half to the second but the fact is they scored 1-5 from play in first half and nothing from play in the second, with only three late frees to show for their endeavours.

Clough-Ballacolla will now play Camross in the semi-final in three weeks time while the other quarter-final this evening between Mountmellick and Trumera finished level. Borris-Kilcotton await in the semi-final.

SCORERS – Clough-Ballacolla: Shane Hanlon 1-2, Chris Rafter 1-1, Damien Bergin 0-4, Jim Doyle 0-2, Shane Hyland 0-1, Aidan Doyle 0-1, Ciaran Finane 0-1. Rathdowney-Errill: Thep Fitzpatrick 0-10 (nine frees), Enda Meagher 1-0, Eoin Bourke 0-2, David Poynton 0-1, Cillian Maher 0-1

CLOUGH-BALLACOLLA: Cathal Dunne; Craig Saunders, Brian Costigan, Mathew Bergin; Johnny Finnane, Brendan McEvoy, John Keane; Jim Doyle, Finbar Conroy; Chris Rafter, Damien Bergin, Aidan Doyle; Ciaran Finane, Shane Hanlon, Shane Hyland. Subs: Ray Cummins for Craig Saunders (55), Tommy Nolan for Shane Hyland (58 mins).

RATHDOWNEY-ERRILL: John Paul Ryan; Mark Treacy, Alan Delaney, Vincent Cleere; David Poynton, Darragh Carroll, Kevin O’Dea; Paddy Meehan, Shane Dollard; Willie Delaney, Eoin Bourke, Thep Fitzpatrick; Cillian Maher, Enda Meagher, Shane Madden. Subs: Shane Bowe for Willie Delaney (45), Jordan Kavanagh for Cillian Maher (56)

SEE ALSO – Late Hilliard free earns Mountmellick a draw with Trumera