Home Gaelic Football Club Football 14-man Portarlington and Graigue to meet again after thrilling draw

14-man Portarlington and Graigue to meet again after thrilling draw

Brought to you in association with Telfords 

Portarlington 2-11 Graiguecullen 2-11
Laois Shopping Centre SFC Quarter Final

Graiguecullen and Portarlington will have to meet once again after a crazy game ended in draw in O’Moore Park.

We had a red card, two managers sent off, a host of wides and a last minute missed free as the game ended level after 65 minutes.

Graiguecullen played with an extra man for 25 minutes but they landed 10 wides in comparison to Portarlington’s four and that kept the 14 men alive.

They trailed by two points as the game headed for the final stages but two Jake Foster frees had us level when Portarlington were awarded another in the final minute.

It seemed a soft foul on Paddy O’Sullivan but the Portarlington players were then incensed when linesman Vinny Dowling intervened to move the free further out towards the stand.

Foster attempted to convert it but his effort dropped short and the sides will have to meet again.

Portarlington dominated the majority of the first half on the scoreboard as Graiguecullen’s shooting let them down – firing seven wides in comparison to Portarlington’s two.

Portarlington led by five points at one stage but a crazy finish to the half saw the sides head for the dressing rooms level.

The sides traded points for the first seven minutes with Colm Murphy and Colin Slevin seeing efforts for Portarlington cancelled out by Brian Byrne and Jamie Parr.

But then Portarlington struck for a goal when captain Jason Moore rampaged through the centre of the Graigue defence and placed a shot into the bottom corner.

After that, the teams traded points with Stephen O’Neill and Colm Murphy seeing Port efforts answered by Danny Bolger and Danny Alsybury.

A row on the sideline between managers Martin Murphy and Kevin Doogue saw both sent to the stands and that seemed to ignite the game as Port kicked the next two scores via Jake Foster and Murphy to go 1-6 to 0-4 ahead.

Jamie Parr responded with a free and then as we headed for injury time, Port gave away a really soft goal.

Port had a free on their own full back line and Alex Mohan tried to play it to Dean Foster but he waited on the ball where Ambrose Doran nicked in in front of him to rattle the net.

Parr then landed his third free of the half and the sides headed for the break at 1-6 apiece.

Graigue continued where they left off on the resumption of play as Jamie Parr gave them the lead for the first time – but it would only last a minute.

Port went down the other end where Jason Moore turned provider to set up Colm Murphy who rounded Danny Bolger and tapped the ball into the net.

But the pendulem would dramatically swing back Graigue’s way by the 35th minute. Danny Alsybury released Ross Hennessy to smash Graigue back ahead with the game’s fourth goal before Port were reduced to 14 men.

Having picked up a yellow card in the first half, Ronan Coffey was shown a black and then a red following a trip on Mark Timmons.

But Graigue then missed two very kickable frees and Port levelled matters after 40 minutes through Colm Murphy.

Graigue keeper Danny Bolger put them back ahead with a monster score from 50 metres and then Ambrode Doran scored from the wing to put them 2-9 to 2-7 ahead as we entered the final quarter.

Graigue kicked another wide though and Port were level after 52 minutes when Colm Murphy was fouled and Jake Foster converted the free.

Ambrose Doran put Graigue back ahead again following a great score on the run but Jake Foster levelled it again after Paddy O’Sullivan was dragged down by Aaron Forbes.

The Graigue man began walking towards the stand thinking he was going to be black carded but referee Tarpey decided not to book him and moments later, he was fouled where Danny Bolger gave Graigue the lead once again.

Three minutes of injury time were signalled and in the first of them, Colm Murphy was fouled and Foster held his nerve to convert.

Foster had that late chance but it wasn’t to be as the sides will have to replay.

SCORERS – Portarlington: Colm Murphy 1-3 (0-1 free), Jake Foster 0-4 (three frees), Jason Moore 1-1, Colin Slevin 0-1, Sean Byrne 0-1, Stephen O’Neill 0-1. Graiguecullen: Ambrose Doran 1-2, Jamie Parr 0-4 (four frees), Ross Hennessy 1-0, Danny Bolger 0-3 (all frees), Brian Byrne 0-1, Danny Alsybury 0-1

PORTARLINGTON: Scott Osbourne; Keith Bracken, Dean Foster, Alex Mohan; Adam Ryan, Jason Moore, Paddy O’Sullivan; Sean Byrne, Robbie Piggott; Stephen O’Neill, Colm Murphy, Ronan Coffey; Jake Foster, David Murphy, Colin Slevin. Subs: Daragh Galvin for O’Neill (ht), Eoin McCann for D Foster (38), Johnny Fulham for Slevin (46)

GRAIGUECULLEN: Danny Bolger; Shane Alyward, Mark Timmons, Martin Doyle; Luke Alsybury, Trevor Collins, Chris Hurley; Jamie Sheehan, Ross Alcock; Danny Alsybury, Brian Byrne, Jamie Parr; Ross Hennessy, Aaron Forbes, Ambrose Doran. Subs: Michael Hande for D Alsybury (43), Ian Fleming for Parr (49), Danny Doogue for Doran (58, inj), Eoin Alsybury for Alyward (61)

Referee: Michael Tarpey (Kilcavan)

SEE ALSO – Check out all the Laois SFC coverage here