Home Gaelic Football Club Football Killeshin defeat Ballylinan to end quarter final hoodoo and reach last four

Killeshin defeat Ballylinan to end quarter final hoodoo and reach last four

Photo - Paul Dargan

Brought to you in association with Telfords 

Killeshin 0-15 Ballylinan 0-8
Laois Shopping Centre SFC Quarter Final

Killeshin are through to their first Laois senior football championship semi final in more than 60 years as they defeated Ballylinan in O’Moore Park this evening.

David Aston was in red hot form once again as his scores gave his side the platform for victory but it was the way in which they defended that was arguably even more impressive.

Gary Walsh was unstoppable against Courtwood for Ballylinan two weeks ago but Stephen Attride kept him scoreless from play while Kevin Ryan, Arnie Mahon and Jeremy Mahon put in impressive performances also.

The first half was a real stop affair but Killeshin ended it with a five point lead.

Gary Walsh and Jamie Farrell were Ballylinan’s only scorers as they rarely got inside Killeshin’s half for the opening 30 minutes.

David Aston was Killeshin’s main scorer as he contributed five points with Eoin Lowry and Michael Doran slotting the others.

Killeshin had two goal chances too with brothers Evan and Eoin Lowry going close but neither could convert as Killeshin had to settle for a 0-7 to 0-2 advantage at the break.

Larry Kealy and Jamie Farrell saw Ballylinan equal their first half total in the first two minutes of the second half while a Gary Walsh free saw them surpass it.

Eoin Lowry hit back for Killeshin but Jamie Farrell’s third point cut the deficit to two. Ballylinan then had a great goal chance when Jamie Farrell got through but Killeshin keeper Shane Coakley denied his shot with his feet.

Coakley then saved one from Larry Kealy before two David Aston points, followed by one from sub Adam Deering, put Killeshin 0-11 to 0-6 ahead after 40 minutes.

Cathal Brennan made it double scores after 47 minutes but Ciaran Farrell left five between them as we entered the final ten minutes.

Ballylinan looked all out of ideas now though as Evan Lowry and Barry Ryan pushed the margin out to seven points after 55 minutes.

And Killeshin were never in trouble from there as they saw the win out well to march into the semi finals.

SCORERS – Killeshin: David Aston 0-8 (six frees), Eoin Lowry 0-2, Michael Doran 0-1, Adam Deering 0-1, Barry Ryan 0-1, Evan Lowry 0-1 Ballylinan: Gary Walsh 0-2 (two frees), Larry Kealy 0-1, Jamie Farrell 0-3, Ciaran Farrell 0-1, Robbie Donoher 0-1

KILLESHIN: Shane Coakley; Stephen Attride, Jeremy Mahon, Keelan Galligan; Arnie Mahon, Kevin Ryan, Shane Bolger; Gavin Brennan, Brian Lowry; Evan Lowry, David Aston, Ross Bolger; Eoin Lowry, Michael Doran, Cathal Brennan. Subs: Barry Ryan for K Ryan (25, blood sub, reversed HT), Adam Deering for R Bolger (37), Barry Ryan for Galligan (39), Paddy Doyle for Doran (56), Luke Attride for S Bolger (58), James Davis for C Brennan (59 black card)

BALLYLINAN: Tom Wright; Kevin Byrne, Conor Behan, Cathal Leonard; Cathal Fennessy, Richie Ryan, Alan Farrell; Seamus Lacey, Jamie Farrell; Oisin Leonard, Ciaran Farrell, Robbie Donoher; Cathail Dunne, Larry Kealy, Gary Walsh. Subs: Ciaran Fennessy for Leonard (41), James Redmond for L Kealy (43), John Kealy for Cathal Fennessy (52), Dermot Leonard for Behan (55)

Referee: Maurice Deegan (Stradbally)

Previous articleShock specialists Ballyfin dump 2018 defeated finalists O’Dempsey’s out of the championship
Next articleDraw made for Laois Senior Football Championship Semi Finals
Stradbally native Alan Hartnett is a graduate of Knockbeg College who has worked in the local and national media since 2008. Alan has a BA in Economics, Politics and Law and an MA in Journalism from DCU. His happiest moment was when Jody Dillon scored THAT goal in the Laois senior football final in 2016.