Home Sport GAA Five-star Spink smash Arles-Killeen to reach Junior B semi final

Five-star Spink smash Arles-Killeen to reach Junior B semi final

Laois GAA

Arles-Killeen 0-7 Spink 5-10
Laois JFC ‘B’

Spink are through to the semi finals of the Junior B championship after they enjoyed an 18 point win over Arles-Killeen in Mageny tonight.

The margin of the victory pushed them ahead of Slieve Bloom at the top of the table on points difference – a result that sends the latter into a three-way playoff for the remaining semi final place.

Graiguecullen will play Stradbally in one semi final but two more games will have to be played to discover who faces Spink.

Emo and Rosenallis will playoff first with the winner of that game playing Slieve Bloom and whoever wins that will then play Spink.

This game began in a disagreement as Spink insisted on playing 13-aside while Arles-Killeen wished to play 15. After referee Pat Moran made a quick phone call to Laois GAA officials, 13-aside was the call.

The game began even enough but Spink soon got on top and with Mark Kehoe and Paul Simms in devastating form, they had far too much for Killeen.

Paul Simms and Beano McDonald exchanged points in the opening stages of the game. Spink then began to dominate and kicked four points in a row with a brace from Simms and one from Mark Kehoe and Eoin Simms.

Spink had a great chance inside the opening five minutes to score a goal as Micheal Downey’s effort hit the upright and the ball ricocheted out to Paul Simms. However, Simms was denied his goal with a brilliant save by Willie Moran.

After the water break, Spink got their first goal of the game via a penalty. Mark Kehoe was fouled inside the box and referee Pat Moran waved his hands wide signalling a penalty. Paul Simms stood up and dispatched the ball into the corner of the net.

Simms and Billy O’Loughlin swapped points before Spink added another goal to their tally. Paul Simms went for a point and his effort looped into the corner of the net to extend Spink’s lead.

Arles-Killeen replied well and scored the last two points of the half through O’Loughlin and Ricky Dunne to leave seven between the sides at the break – 2-6 to 0-5.

Spink started the second half well as they scored two goals in five minutes to wrap up the game. The first one came from Mark Kehoe who finished off a brilliant team move involving Simms, Podge Lalor and Cathal O’Shaughnessy for a goal. While Simms setup up O’Shaughnessy to tap the ball into the net for Spink’s fourth goal of the game soon after.

At this stage it was one way traffic as Spink continued to press for more scores. Kehoe and Eoin Simms pointed before they got their final goal of the game. Kehoe was on hand to again for the goal which brought his tally for the day to 2-4.

As the game drew to a close Beano McDonald pointed for Killeen while Jamie Straford got one for Spink as they won well.

SCORERS – Arles-Killeen: Beano McDonald 0-3 (two frees), Billy O’Loughlin 0-2 (two frees), Brendan O’Shea 0-1, Ricky Dunne 0-1 Spink: Paul Simms 2-4 (1-0 pen), Mark Kehoe 2-3 (one free), Cathal O’Shaughnessy 1-0, Eoin Simms 0-2, Jamie Stratford 0-1

ARLES-KILLEEN: Willie Moran, Aidan O’Rourke, Brendan McDonald; Thomas McWey, Brian Kennedy, TJ Julian; Arnie Mahon, Ricky Dunne; Brendan O’Shea, Billy O’Loughlin, Eamon Mahon; Beano McDonald, David Warren. Subs Used: Padraig Dunne, Niall Dunne, Keith Hosey

SPINK: Ruaidhri Neavyn, Kieran Bowe, Noel Duggan; Paddy Gorman, James Hennessy, Podge Lalor; Sean Downey, Eoin Simms; Mark Kehoe, Micheal Downey, Eoin Fitzpatrick; Paul Simms, Cathal O’Shaughnessy. Subs Used: Enda Kehoe, Jamie Drury, Aaron O’Dea, Jamie Stratford, Adrian McCartney, Aaron Walsh.

Referee: Pat Moran (Graiguecullen)

SEE ALSO – Find all the LaoisToday gaelic football coverage here

Previous articleDraws made for senior football quarter-finals and intermediate semi-finals
Next articleJOB VACANCY: Primary Colours Hair Studio seeking to hire full-time and part-time stylists