Home Hurling Club Hurling Bergin’s goal crucial for Camross while Abbeyleix reach third straight MHC final...

Bergin’s goal crucial for Camross while Abbeyleix reach third straight MHC final following dramatic comeback

Camross 1-18 The Harps 1-14
Minor ‘A’ Hurling Championship Semi Final

Camross qualified for the Minor ‘A’ hurling final after edging a tight encounter with The Harps this afternoon.

There was very little between the teams throughout the game with Emmet Bergin’s goal proving crucial for Camross in the end.

There was also an outstanding individual scoring display from Ben Deegan who managed 14 points while Cody Comerford of the Harps wasn’t too far behind him as he contributed nine.

The sides were level 0-3 apiece at the water break with Camross taking a 0-7 to 0-6 lead at half time.

Camross pressed on in the third quarter with Cathal Cuddy, Tom Cuddy and Shane Higgins impressing here as they went three clear.

However, a brilliant Liam Kirby goal levelled the game again at the second water break – 1-10 to 0-13.

The Harps actually led by a point with 55 minutes on the clock but up stepped Bergin to score that all important goal after some great work by Kevin Byrne.

SCORERS – Camross: Ben Deegan 0-14 (Eleven frees), Emmet Bergin 1-1, Shane Higgins 0-1, Cathal Cuddy 0-1 (free) James Cuddy 0-1 The Harps: Cody Comerford 0-9 (eight frees, one 65’), Liam Kirby 1-2, Bobby Murphy 0-1, Charlie Murphy 0-1, Justin Duggan 0-1

CAMROSS: Rick Bannon; Scott Coyle, Cathal Cuddy, Conor Mortimer; Aaron Carroll, Tom Cuddy, Josh Hynes; Robert Lalor, Ryan Cuddy; Ben Deegan, Kevin Byrne, Emmet Bergin; Dara Breen, James Cuddy, Shane Higgins. Subs – Harry Peavoy for Dara Breen.

THE HARPS: Oisin Conroy; Adam Walsh, Rory Dunne, Jack Dunphy; Glen Stanley, Ciaran Flynn, Conor Walsh; Will Duggan, Bobby Murphy; Justin Duggan, Cody Comerford, Liam Kirby; Brian Holland, Daniel Dooley, Charlie Murphy.
Subs – Sean Curran for Brian Holland

Referee: Padraig Dunne (Colt)

Portlaoise 4-11 Abbeyleix 2-20
Minor ‘A’ Hurling Championship Semi Final

Abbeyleix pulled off a remarkable comeback to defeat Portlaoise in the second semi final this afternoon.

Portlaoise scored four goals in the first quarter of the game and looked good for the win as they held a 4-2 to 0-5 advantage at the first water break.

Abbeyleix started their revival in the second quarter as U-15 star Cormac Byrne struck for the first of his goals but they still trailed 4-5 to 1-9 at half time.

There was little change in the third quarter as Abbeyleix only marginally reduced the arrears to leave it 4-9 to 1-14 at the second water break.

But they kept going. Colin Byrne was accurate from frees while Tally Hassett scored two brilliant points to give them the lead for the first time.

Portlaoise were still in the game but Cormac Byrne’s second goal gave Abbeyleix the breathing space to hold on.

This is their third straight final to reach and after success in 2020, Abbeyleix will be hoping to make it two in a row.

PORTLAOISE: Brochan O’Reilly; Conor Raggett, Dylan Cahill, Evan Bergin; Sean O’Sullivan, Colin McEvoy, Rio Lacumber; Kieran O’Donnell, Barry Fitzpatrick; Adam O’Mahoney, James Conroy, Sean Devitt; Jack McGrath, Conor Brown, David Brown

ABBEYLEIX: Lee Cole; Conor Dooley, Ross Coffey, Tom O’Keeffe; Dara Phelan, Adrian Dunne, Kyle Mullen; Darren Mulhall, Killian Byrne; Jack Finley, Liam Kavanagh, Eli Quinn; Tally Hassett, Colm Byrne, Cormac Byrne

Referee: John Lalor (Shanahoe)

SEE ALSO – Farrell on fire as St Joseph’s defeat Stradbally Parish Gaels to claim back-to-back U-15 championships

Previous articleEmo strike at the death to claim narrow win over The Heath
Next articleWATCH: Video emerges of row between Arles-Killeen and Killeshin following Laois SFC game in O’Moore Park