Home Sport GAA Camross topple 14-man Rathdowney-Errill to clinch Premier IHC semi final place

Camross topple 14-man Rathdowney-Errill to clinch Premier IHC semi final place

The new fixtures for the hurling championships are here

Camross 1-16 Rathdowney-Errill 0-12
Laois Premier IHC Quarter-final

Camross sealed their place in the semi finals of the Premier IHC following victory over Rathdowney-Errill in O’Moore Park.

This victory, coupled with Ballinakill’s earlier, means a draw for the semi finals is not needed.

Ballinakill will now take on Portlaoise while Camorss will face Ballyfin in the other.

This game was close enough throughout but Camross got on top at the start of the second half and when Rathdowney-Errill were reduced to 14 men after 40 minutes, the game was over as a contest.

The first half ebbed and flowed one way and the other with Camross just coming out on top.

Paddy Hassett, Jordie Kavanagh, Eoin Bourke and Jack Foyle were on target for Rathdowney-Errill in the opening quarter.

Dan Delaney, Colin Palmer and Darrell Dooley responded for Camross but they trailed 0-4 to 0-3 at the first water break.

Rathdowney-Errill’s accuracy deserted them after that though and they finished the half with seven wides which let Camross back into the game.

Delaney was steady on frees while the excellent Tomas Keyes scored two fine points to help them lead 0-9 to 0-8 at half time.

Camross made a blistering start to the second half as sub Niall Bennett scored with his first touch before Tomas Keyes drew a fine save from Damien Bowe – but he had been fouled for a free in the build up to the move, which he scored.

Rob Delaney and Paddy Hassett swapped points before Ray Bowe’s shot crept through the legs of Camross keeper Cillian Tiernan but just went wide of the post.

Minutes later, Rathdowney-Errill were awarded a penalty when Willie Delaney’s long ball found John Sherman who was fouled for a penalty.

Rathdowney-Errill brought up Eoin Bourke to take it but Cillian Tiernan made a great save. In the aftermath of the penalty, referee Padraig Dunne showed a second yellow and then a red card to Rathdowney-Errill’s Jordie Kavanagh and they had to play the final 20 minutes with 14 men.

Paddy Hassett did score for Rathdowney-Errill after that but Darrell Dooley left it 0-14 to 0-11 at the second water break.

The games was settled five minutes from the finish when Tomas Keyes burst clear and laid it off to Niall Bennett to finish to the net.

SCORERS – Camross: Niall Bennett 1-2, Dan Delaney 0-4 (three frees), Tomas Keyes 0-3 (one free), Darrell Dooley 0-3, Colin Palmer 0-1, Rob Delaney 0-1, Kevin Lalor 0-1, Craig Delaney 0-1 Rathdowney-Errill: Paddy Hassett 0-7 (six frees, one 65), Eoin Bourke 0-2 (two frees), Jordie Kavanagh 0-1, Jack Foyle 0-1, James Keegan 0-1

CAMROSS: Cillian Tiernan; Cian Delaney, Daniel Breen, Thomas Palmer; Craig Delaney, Eoin Dowling, Rob Tyrell; Rob Delaney, Colin Palmer; Darrell Dooley, Matthew Collier, Kevin Lalor; Dan Delaney, Jack Phelan, Tomas Keyes. Subs: Niall Bennett for D Delaney (ht), Joe Ryan for C Delaney (57)

RATHDOWNEY-ERRILL: Damien Bowe; Willie Delaney, Alan Delaney, Patrick Wright; Adam Loughman, Eoin Bourke, Jack Foyle; Daniel Bowe, Paddy Meehan; Ray Bowe, Brendan Kelly, John Sherman; Paddy Hassett, Jordie Kavanagh, Daniel Bowe. Subs: John Carroll for Kelly (38), Jake Creagh for Bowe (52)

REFEREE: Padraig Dunne (Colt)

SEE ALSO – Check out all the weekend Laois GAA coverage here

Previous articleBallinakill navigate past courageous Clonaslee to reach Premier IHC semi finals
Next articleLadies semi finals confirmed following victories for St Brigid’s and Sarsfields
Stradbally native Alan Hartnett is a graduate of Knockbeg College who has worked in the local and national media since 2008. Alan has a BA in Economics, Politics and Law and an MA in Journalism from DCU. His happiest moment was when Jody Dillon scored THAT goal in the Laois senior football final in 2016.