Home News Community End of an era as Courtwood community bids farewell to ‘Mrs O’Connell...

End of an era as Courtwood community bids farewell to ‘Mrs O’Connell of The Store’

The small rural community of Courtwood is bidding farewell this weekend to Tess O’Connell, who passed away aged 89.

Mrs O’Connell lived at her home at ‘Courtwood Stores’, a landmark of sorts in the area, the name of which harked back to when it was in fact a co-op stores.

It remained a local shop into the mid 1990s and continued as a collection and drop off point for buses for various community and sporting outings.

Her family have a long association and involvement with the local Courtwood GAA, with her four sons having represented the club and her son-in-law, Barry Weldon, recently appointed as their manager for the 2023 season.

Mrs O’Connell was the last remaining member of her generation of the Stapleton family from Moyanna, Vicarstown.

She worked as a nurse in her earlier years and that kind, gentle nature was a characteristic of a person who’ll be fondly remembered and referred to as “a lady”.

Predeceased by her husband Ned, who passed away in 1986, she is survived by her loving family Patrick, John, Mary (Hurley), Eamonn, Cora (Weldon) and Michael, daughters-in-law Val, Denise, Catherine and Sarah, sons-in-law James and Barry, grandchildren, brother-in-law Des, sister-in-law Dolores, nieces, nephews, relatives, neighbours and friends.

Reposing at her residence (eircode R32 V2T1) on Friday evening from 3pm with Rosary at 8pm.

Removal on Saturday afternoon at 1:30pm arriving The Sacred Heart Church, Rath for Requiem Mass at 2pm. Funeral afterwards to The New Cemetery, Emo.

House Private on Saturday morning, please.

SEE ALSO – Death occurs of Tommy Dunne senior, well-known figure in GAA community and building industry

Previous articleTalking Sport Podcast: Hurlers in Offaly, Ladies in O’Moore Park, big night in Clonaslee and new managers
Next articleConcerns raised after asylum seekers ‘before courts in relation to stabbing incident’ moved to Laois