The Laois senior hurling team to play Kerry in the opening round of the Allianz Hurling League on Sunday has been named.
In the first league game since the departure of Seamus ‘Cheddar’ Plunkett as manager, Eamonn Kelly names nine of the side that were knocked out of the championship last year by Clare.
There is a league debut for Eoin Fleming in goals while Ryan Mullaney is picked at full-back, Neil Foyle at centre-forward and captain Ross King on the wing.
Willie Dunphy, Cha Dwyer and Stephen ‘Picky’ Maher form a dangerous-looking full-forward line.
Kelly says that maintaining their status is the main priority for Laois and with the game with Kerry key to Laois’s hopes of avoiding a relegation playoff, he feels that the Kingdom have the inside track on Laois due to the presence of former Laois coach Brendan Cummins in their backroom team.
The game throws in at 2pm in Austin Stack Park in Tralee and Laois are 8/15 favourites, despite losing to Kerry twice in last year’s campaign.
LAOIS TEAM IN FULL:
- Eoin Fleming (Borris-Kilcotton)
- Dwayne Palmer (Camross)
- Ryan Mullaney (Castletown)
- Padraig Lawlor (Ballinakill)
- Leigh Bergin (Shanahoe)
- Matthew Whelan (Borris-Kilcotton)
- Paddy Whelan (Borris-Kilcotton)
- Patrick Purcell (Rathdowney-Errill)
- Ben Conroy (Slieve Bloom)
- Cian Taylor (Portlaoise)
- Neil Foyle (Borris-Kilcotton)
- Ross King (Rathdowney-Errill)
- Willie Dunphy (Clough-Ballacolla)
- Cha Dwyer (Ballinakill)
- Stephen Maher (Clough-Ballacolla)