Home Sport GAA Graiguecullen and St Joseph’s in pole position in Division 1A

Graiguecullen and St Joseph’s in pole position in Division 1A

Emo-Courtwood-The Rock are into the MFC final

Graiguecullen 0-12 The Heath 1-5

ACFL Division 1A

Pádraig Clancy made it three wins from three ACFL Division 1A games in charge of Graiguecullen following a well earned four point win over The Heath last night.

Both of these sides had made a winning start to the league this year so something had to give in The Heath and it was the league champions who relinquished their 100% record.

The Barrowsiders played with the aid of a very stiff breeze in the first half, however, with 20 minutes on the clock, they had managed just one point which came from Lee Timmons.

Graiguecullen owned the ball in the opening quarter but failed to turn their dominance on the pitch into scores and The Heath caught them with a sucker punch when a fine counter attack resulted in Robbie Dowling rifling the ball into the onion sack.

This score seemed to spark Graiguecullen into life. James Doogue and Ian Fleming kicked a point apiece before goalkeeper Danny Bolger landed two long range frees to give them a slender 0-6 to 1-1 lead at half time.

A two point advantage didn’t appear to be enough as Graiguecullen turned to play into the breeze but their cause was helped when they got the first two points of the second period thanks to a brace from wing forward Ross Hennessy.

The Heath responded through Evin Keane, Mark Dunne and Podge Whelan but Graiguecullen kept them at bay.

They showed incredible patience in the second period to work the ball into the scoring zone before pulling the trigger and it paid off as Aaron Forbes, Wayne Humphries, Timmons and keeper Bolger all raised white flags to claim a fully deserved victory.

Graiguecullen are set for another top of the table clash next week. The Barrowsiders will face the only other unbeaten team in Division 1A, St. Joseph’s, in Fr Maher Park on Sunday.

Meanwhile, The Heath will look to get their defence of the league back on track when they travel to Killenard to take on O’Dempsey’s.

GRAIGUECULLEN: Danny Bolger (0-3f); Bobby Doyle, Ross Alcock, Martin Doyle; Luke Aylesbury, Liam Kearney, Wayne Humphries (0-1); Jimmy Bolton, Shane O’Neill; James Doogue (0-1), Ian Fleming (0-2), Paul Mulready; Ross Hennessy (0-2, 1f), Aaron Forbes (0-2), Lee Timmons (0-2). Subs: Seán Farrell for Alcock (10mins), Jamie Sheehan for Hennessy (52mins)

THE HEATH: Shane Booth; Gary Hogan, Bob Delaney, Alan Whelan; Liam Campbell, Jimmy Nerney, James Phelan; Ciarán Booth, Colin Nestor; Robbie Dowling (1-0), Evin Keane (0-3), Aidan Bergin; Ciarán Hyland, Mark Dunne (0-1), Podge Whelan (0-1). Subs: James Conroy for Hyland (35mins), Eoin Delaney for Bergin (42mins), David Conroy for Hogan (48mins), Gary Smith for Campbell (53mins)

St Joseph’s 2-9 Arles-Killeen 1-5

Elsewhere, St Joseph’s also made it three wins from three with a seven point win over Arles-Killeen.

The Kellville outfit held a 1-4 to 0-3 advantage at half time and stood firm in the second half to claim a third straight win.

Conor Keightley struck for a second half goal for Arles-Killeen vut it proved to be a mere consolation as his side slipped to a third straight defeat to leave them rock bottom of the table.