Home Sport GAA Strong second half sees The Heath relegate Arles-Killeen

Strong second half sees The Heath relegate Arles-Killeen

Robbie Dowling was in fine form for The Heath last night in their win over Arles-Killeen
Robbie Dowling was in fine form for The Heath last night in their win over Arles-Killeen

The Heath 1-14 Arles-Killeen 0-10

ACFL Division 1A

The Heath produced a strong second half performance to end any outside chance that they would be relegated and demote Arles-Killeen in the process.

It has been a difficult start to life under Eoin Kearns for Arles-Killeen who have suffered throughout much of the league.

Injuries and inter-county commitments have deprived them of some of their stronger players for much of the league which has resulted in their relegation.

The Heath went into this season as reigning league champions but a number of their players decided to go travelling resulting in a facile defence.

Things were even enough for long periods in the first half of this one. Jason Enright kicked Arles-Killeen’s first four scores while The Heath had Eoin Delaney, Chris Bergin and Brian Ging to thank for theirs.

Donie Brennan, Enright and Dermot Julian all pointed for Killeen in the first half but The Heath took a point advantage into the break.

Eoin Delaney came up with the game’s only goal just before half time to leave The Heath ahead by 1-5 to 0-7 at the interval.

This spurred the home side on and they outscored Arles-Killeen by nine points to three in the second period.

Jason Enright, Donie Brennan and Conor Keightley accounted for all of Arles-Killeen’s scores in the second half but that was never going to be enough to beat The Heath.

They had Eoin Delaney, James Phelan, Chris Bergin, Jimmy Nerney, Podge Whelan and Mark Dunne on the board to seal a seven point win in the end.

The game ended on a sour note for Arles-Killeen after James Mahon was dismissed following an off the ball incident with The Heath substitute Ciarán Hyland.

The Heath’s last game is against league leaders St Joseph’s while Arles-Killeen face a league final chasing O’Dempsey’s.

SCORERS – THE HEATH: Eoin Delaney (1-4, 0-3 frees), Chris Bergin 0-3, Brian Ging and Jimmy Nerney 0-2 each, Podge Whelan, James Phelan and Mark Dunne 0-1 each ARLES-KILLEEN: Jason Enright 0-6, Donie Brennan 0-2, Conor Keightley and Dermot Julian 0-1 each

THE HEATH: Joe Walshe; Gary Roe Smith, Gary Hogan, Alan Whelan; James Phelan, Jimmy Nerney, Ciarán Booth; Colin Nestor, JP Nerney; Brian Ging, Mark Dunne, Robbie Dowling; Chris Bergin, Podge Whelan, Eoin Delaney. Subs: Daithi Carroll for JP Nerney, Aidan Bergin for Dunne, Ciarán Hyland for P. Whelan, Liam Campbell for Booth

ARLES-KILLEEN: Mick Leigh; Brian Kennedy, James Mahon, Joe Mulhare; Shane Julian, Dermot Julian, Niall O’Rourke; Joe Mahon, Eamonn Mahon; Seán O’Shea, Jason Enright, Conor Keightley; Gerry McWey, Paul McDonald, Donie Brennan. Subs: Tom McWey for S Julian (20 mins)

Referee: Clifford Ward (Portarlington)

READ ALSO – Stradbally deal blow to O’Dempsey’s league final hopes