Home Sport GAA O’Dempsey’s win to keep league final hopes alive

O’Dempsey’s win to keep league final hopes alive

Peter O'Leary scored two goals as O'Dempsey's beat Arles-Killeen last night
O'Dempseys appealed the county board decision to award Portlaoise the ACFL Division 1 title

O’Dempsey’s 4-12 Arles-Killeen 3-8

ACFL Division 1A

O’Dempsey’s have done all they can in their pursuit of a league final place – by winning their final game against Arles-Killeen.

Peter Brady’s men must now await the outcome of tonight’s clash between Portlaoise and Ballyroan-Abbey to see if they will join St Joseph’s in the title decider next weekend.

A win for Portlaoise against a side who are already relegated however, will be enough for them to overtake the Killenard side.

Arles-Killeen’s relegation was sealed last week when they lost to The Heath but they made a real game of this in Mageny last night.

Eoin Kearns’ men grabbed the first three points of the encounter through Donie Brennan, John Mahon and Jason Enright to move clear in as many minutes.

But O’Dempsey’s were in front by the tenth minute. Peter O’Leary and Bryan Nugent raised white flags either side of the game’s first goal which came after 8 minutes.

Stephen O’Leary did all of the hard work before squaring the ball to his brother Peter who crashed the ball to the net off the underside of the crossbar.

But the home side had the ball in the net soon after when a scramble resulted in a goal being scored into his own net by an O’Dempsey’s player after some great pressure by Gerry McWey.

Enright then landed a free to move Arles-Killeen 1-4 to 1-2 in front at the midpoint of the half.

However, back came O’Dempsey’s. Darren Fitzpatrick and Micheal Finlay kicked points before Bryan Nugent scored their second goal after some neat passes involving Eoin and Micheal Finlay.

Nugent and Enright traded points to leave O’Dempsey’s ahead by 2-5 to 1-5 at the break.

Jason Enright clawed one back on the resumption of play before Seán O’Shea had Killeen back in front with their second goal a minute later.

But their lead didn’t last long as Peter O’Leary popped up with his second goal after a defence splitting pass from Micheal Finlay.

O’Dempsey’s got the next three points thanks to a brace from Nugent and another from Darren Finlay but Arles-Killeen levelled the game again with ten minutes to play via a point from Enright and a goal from Paul McDonald.

But O’Dempsey’s finished the game in style to win by six in the end. Bryan Nugent took his tally to 1-6 while Eoin Finlay chipped in with a goal and a point to seal the win.

They must now nervously wait on the outcome of tonight’s game to see if they can go any further.

SCORERS – O’DEMPSEY’S: Bryan Nugent (1-6, 0-5 frees), Peter O’Leary 2-1, Eoin Finlay 1-1, Darren Fitzpatrick, Darren Finlay and Michéal Finlay 0-1 each ARLES-KILLEEN: Jason Enright 0-5 (0-2 frees), Seán O’Shea 1-1, Paul McDonald 1-0, Donie Brennan and John Mahon 0-1 each

O’DEMPSEY’S: Podge Bannon; Cormac O’Hora, Shane Nerney, Tommy Kehoe; Eoin Cunningham, Peter O’Leary, Robbie Kehoe; Darren Finlay, Eoin Finlay; Darren Fitzpatrick, Bryan Nugent, Micheal Finlay; Daithi Howlin, Johnny Kelly, Stephen O’Leary. Subs: Richard Whelehan for Cunningham (14mins), Bobby Sweeney for Whelehan (35mins), Daniel McCormack for Howlin (54mins)

ARLES-KILLEEN: Mick Leigh; Brian Kennedy, Joe Mulhare, Enda McDonald; Niall O’Rourke, Dermot Julian, Enda O’Rourke; Jason Enright, John Mahon; Paul McDonald, Conor Keightley, Seán O’Shea; Tom McWey, Gerry McWey, Donie Brennan

Referee: Joe Brennan (Crettyard)

READ ALSO – REVEALED: We’ve selected Laois’s Top 25 Snapchatters