Home Sport GAA Bergin to the fore as Camross claim Division 4 league honours

Bergin to the fore as Camross claim Division 4 league honours

The Camross team that claimed the ACHL Division 4 title in the Laois GAA Training Centre on Sunday evening
Camross 3-12 Colt 1-10

Laois Shopping Centre ACHL Division 4 Final

Paddy Bergin helped himself to 1-7 as Camross claimed the ACHL Division 4 title in the Laois GAA Training Centre on Sunday evening.

Having lost the Division 5 final on Friday night, they got their hands on silverware when they proved too strong for Colt.

Bergin started as he meant to go go on scoring the first two points of the game for Camross with two well-struck frees. Although Kevin Farrell hit back straight away for Colt with a fine point, Camross had the ball in the net soon after, a long-range effort from Bergin deceiving Stephen Sinnott and crossing the line.

The Colt team by Camross in the ACHL Division 4 final on Sunday evening. Pictures: Julie Anne Miller

James Keyes responded for Colt but a David Mortimer point from distance and a Kevin Lalor goal after a scramble in the square had Camross 2-3 to 0-2 up after 10 minutes.

Colt fought back well though and with Joe Stack and Keyes to the fore they pared back the lead before Kevin Farrell pounced for a goal to leave just two between the sides. Stack (’65) and Tadhg Drennan swapped points and Camross led 2-6 to 1-7 at the break.

Camross got the second half off to a great start too. David Mortimer and Paddy Bergin pointed frees before captain Brendan O’Sullivan raced through the middle for their third goal in the 37th minute.

That put Camross well in control and although Joe Stack replied with three frees, Camross got the last three points – from Dan Delaney and two from Bergin to run out eight-point winners.

SCORERS – Camross: Paddy Bergin 1-7 (0-5 frees), Kevin Lalor and Brendan O’Sullivan 1-0 each, David Mortimer 0-3 (two frees), Dan Delaney and Tadhg Drennan 0-1 each. Colt: Joe Stack 0-7 (four frees, one ’65), Kevin Farrell 1-1, James Keyes and Paudie McDonald 0-1

CAMROSS: Niall Cuddy; Jack Moore, Pakie Cuddy, Lar Cuddy; Damien Ryan, Peter Guilfoyle, Mick O’Sullivan; Tadhg Drennan, David Mortimer; Pat Burke, Brendan O’Sullivan, Dan Delaney; Paddy Bergin, Kevin Lalor, Alan Bergin. Subs: Cillian Tiernan for A Bergin (34 mins), Joseph O’Sullivan for M O’Sullivan (47 mins), Brian Handcock for K Lalor (60 mins)

COLT: Stephen Sinnott; Ned Delaney, Sean O’Callaghan, Mick Farrell; Brian Keegan, Enda Phelan, Daire Brennan; James Keyes, Eoin Donoghue; Paudie McDonald, Pauric Dunne, Kevin Farrell; Ciaran Sinnott, Tony Ryan, Joe Stack. Subs: Mick Grant for Ryan (half-time), Nathan Dunne for C Sinnott (41 mins), Eddie Dunne for Phelan (41 mins), John Mulhall for K Farrell (48 mins)

SEE ALSO – Colt beat Rathdowney-Errill to reach Division 1A final