Home Sport GAA Portarlington sail past Ballyroan and into the quarter finals

Portarlington sail past Ballyroan and into the quarter finals

Jake Foster gets this pass away for Portarlington against Niall O'Rourke, Arles Killeen in the SFC at O'More Park. Picture: Alf Harvey/HRPhoto.ie
The Bear in the Square lads are here with their latest picks

Brought to you in association with The Anvil Inn

Portarlington 2-23 Ballyroan-Abbey 0-10

Laois Shopping Centre Senior Football Championship Round 2

Portarlington booked their pace in the Laois SFC quarter finals following a comfortable win over Ballyroan-Abbey tonight.

Noel Coss’ men were in command from the start and won well in the end to book their spot in the last eight.

Mark McDonald kicked the game’s first point for Ballyroan-Abbey after a fine run but he was soon stretchered off with a bad knee injury and his side failed to score again for 25 minutes.

In the meantime, Portarlington kicked eight points to move into a commanding lead. And it could have been even greater but for some wayward shooting.

They fired ten wides in the first half but still took a nine point lead into half time.

Jason Moore, Jordan Fitzpatrick, Evan Lyons, Colm Murphy, David Murphy and Johnny Fulham all raised white flags as Portarlington went 0-8 to 0-1 ahead.

MJ Tierney lifted the siege for Ballyroan-Abbey but there was more misery to come.

We almost had the game’s first goal in the 27th minute when Colm Murphy raced clear but just as he is about to pull the triggor, Gavin Tynan maked a brilliant block. The ball came to Jordan Fitzpatrick and his first time shot was deflected over the bar by a defender.

Nine minutes of first half injury time were signalled, but 11 were played, and in the first of them, Diarmuid Whelan cut the gap with the score of the half after gathering the ball on the 45 in front of the stand and turning his man before splitting the posts.

But we had the game’s opening goal in the fifth minute of injury time. David Murphy won a Ballyroan kick-out and played the ball to Johnny Fulham who in turn found Colm Murphy and he rounded Andrew Bonham to score.

Kevin McGrath then kicked a point and Diarmuid Whelan brought the half to a close with a free to leave Portarlington 1-10 to 0-4 ahead at the break.

The game continued in a similar fashion on the restart with Colm Murphy (3), Evan Lyons and Jordan Fitzpatrick all pointing in the first five minutes of the second half.

MJ Tierney and Diarmuid Whelan tried to keep Ballyroan going with frees but Graham Weldon moved Portarlington 13 clear after 43 minutes.

But the game was well and truly over by the midpoint of the half. Jake Foster’s goalbound effort was blocked on the line but Colm Murphy was on hand to tap home from close range.

Adam Brennan and Johnny Fulham then traded scores before Jordan Fitzpatrick moved Portarlington 2-19 to 0-7 ahead with ten minutes to play.

Tierney and Jordan Fitzpatrick then traded scores as Portarlington kept their lead at 18 points.

Johnny Fulham and Tierney did likewise before Colm Murphy stretched Portarlington’s lead even further by taking his own tally to 2-6.

Both sides were just playing out the game now with Pádraig McMahon and Jason Moore swapping points and that is how it finished.

SCORERS – PORTARLINGTON: Colm Murphy 2-6 (0-2 frees), Jason Moore 0-3, Evan Lyons 0-2, Jordan Fitzpatrick 0-4, David Murphy 0-2, Johnny Fulham 0-3, Graham Weldon 0-1, Kevin McGrath 0-2 BALLYROAN-ABBEY: MJ Tierney 0-4 (0-3 frees), Mark McDonald 0-1, Diarmuid Whelan 0-3 (0-2 frees), Adam Brennan 0-1, Pádraig McMahon

PORTARLINGTON: Brian McAuley; Diarmuid Bennett, Hayden Weldon, Dean Foster; Graham Weldon, Paddy O’Sullivan, Eoin Kennedy; Johnny Fulham, David Murphy; Jordan Fitzpatrick, Jason Moore, Steven Lyons; Jake Foster, Colm Murphy, Evan Lyons. Subs: Kevin McGrath for D Foster (18mins, inj), David Condron for D Murphy (52mins), Cormac Curtis for Fitzpatrick (52mins), Jason Ward for J Foster (55mins), Shane McAuley for Kennedy (55mins)

BALLYROAN-ABBEY: Andrew Bonham; Mark Cahill, Gavin Tynan, Cian Moffitt; Oisin Carroll, Ruairi Dunne, Aaron Carroll; Conor Brennan, Pádraig McMahon; Ciarán Carroll, Mark McDonald, Jamie Whelan; MJ Tierney, Diarmuid Whelan, Adam Brennan. Subs: Shaun Murphy for McDonald (5mins, inj), Eoin Reilly for Murphy (30mins), Liam Delaney for O. Carroll (ht), Danny Molloy for J Whelan (ht), Eoghan Whelan for Moffitt (40mins, inj)

Referee: Mick Tarpey (Kilcavan)