Home Sport GAA Borris-Kilcotton see off Clough-Ballacolla in extra time thriller

Borris-Kilcotton see off Clough-Ballacolla in extra time thriller

The Borris-Kilcotton team who constested the U-14 A final
The Borris-Kilcotton team who constested the U-14 A final

Borris-Kilcotton 3-15 Clough-Ballacolla 3-11 (AET)

Midlands Park Hotel U-14 Hurling Championship Final

What an incredible game of hurling!

The standard at this age grade has been extremely high all year and the final certainly didn’t disappoint as the sides went at it from the off.

There were stars on both sides as Cillian Dunne, Ballacolla, and Philip Tynan, Borris-Kilcotton, scored well with Borris’ Noah Quinlan particularly excelling in their defence.

In the end it took extra time to separate them with Borris-Kilcotton’s Eoin Daly snatching a vital goal in extra time to seal an incredible win.

Clough-Ballacolla made a lightening fast start to the game and Cillian Dunne had two frees on the board within the first 90 seconds.

The same player then won a penalty in the third minute which he stepped up and smashed into the top corner to cap off a remarkable start.

Indeed Dunne was proving unmarkable and when a fourth ball came his way in the fifth minute, he shot into the ground and the spin took the ball into the corner of the net.

Borris-Kilcotton were stunned and it took them eight minutes to register a score from a Philip Tynan free.

However, moments later they had a much needed goal when Tynan picked out Timothy Guidrea with a pinpoint pass and he got to the ball before keeper Adam Gorman to score.

Tynan added another free and Darragh McSpadden slotted one from long range to cut the gap to two.

But Dunne landed a brace to settle Ballacolla back into a four point lead by the midpoint of the half.

Dunne took his tally to 2-5 soon after but Jer Quinlan kept Borris in it with a great point after a fine run and Patrick Sheeran cut the game to three with five minutes to play.

Pádraig Brennan became the first Ballacolla player other than Cillian Dunne to score and then so again to leave his side ahead by 2-7 to 1-5 at half time.

Borris-Kilcotton needed a fast start to the second half and they got it when Jer Quinlan released Ben Dollard and his first-time shot rattled the back of the net.

And the deficit was back to the minimum by the third minute of the half thanks to a long range Philip Tynan free.

Ballacolla needed a score to settle them down and once again Cillian Dunne obliged by converting a free after Padraig Brennan had been fouled.

But Borris-Kilcotton responded with Tynan’s fourth free of the afternoon only for Dunne to cancel that out with his fifth.

Tynan then opened his account from play to leave one in it again before Darragh Costigan slammed over from 45 yards to tie the game as we entered the final ten minutes.

The lads in red and green were on top now and they took the lead for the very first time a minute later as Philip Tynan converted his fifth free after Ben Dollard had been fouled.

The Clough-Ballacolla team who contested the U14 A final
The Clough-Ballacolla team who contested the U14 A final

They then took a 2-11 to 2-9 lead with seven to play when Jack Fitzpatrick pointed from the acutest of angles.

And the margin remained so as we entered the final five minutes after Tynan and Dunne exchanged frees.

Ballacolla needed a goal but instead Borris-Kilcotton were awarded a penalty when Jer Quinlan was fouled by Ballacolla keeper Adam Gorman.

Noah Quinlan, who had an incredible game at full back for Borris, stepped up but slammed the resulting penalty wide.

Ballacolla had a chance of a goal but Cian Mezzapelle’s shot was cleared off the line and Borris went down the other end where Jack Fitzpatrick was fouled and Philip Tynan put three in it with the game deep in injury time.

But incredibly – Ballacolla would get the equalising goal to force extra time. Centre forward Dara Fleming created space for himself and drove the ball into the net to leave it 3-10 to 2-13.

Two extra time periods of seven minutes would now be played and Borris-Kilcotton were first off the mark through Philip Tynan’s seventh free as the rain began to fall.

But we were level again in the fifth minute of the first half of extra time thanks to a Cillian Dunne free.

However, the half ended with late drama. Borris-Kilcotton substitute Eoin Daly reacted quickest to a rebound from a Timothy Guidrea shot to leave his side ahead by 3-14 to 3-11 at half time.

Jer Quinlan edged Borris four ahead at the start of the second period and although Ballacolla tried desperately to conjour a goal, they couldn’t and Borris held on.

SCORERS – BORRIS-KILCOTTON: Philip Tynan 0-8 (0-7 frees), Timothy Guidrea, Eoin Daly and Ben Dollard 1-0 each, Jer Quinlan 0-2, Darragh McSpadden, Patrick Sheeran, Darragh Costigan and Jack Fitzpatrick 0-1 each CLOUGH-BALLACOLLA: Cillian Dunne 2-9 (1-0pen, 0-7 frees), Dara Fleming 1-0, Padraig Brennan 0-2

BORRIS-KILCOTTON: Liam Breen; Matthew Quinlan, Patrick Sheeran, Jason Sheppard; Darragh Costigan, Noah Quinlan, Daniel Quinn; Philip Tynan, Darragh McSpadden; Jack Fitzpatrick, Ben Dollard, Dermot Kearney; Jer Quinlan, Timothy Guidrea, Jamie Coss Subs: Eoin Daly for Coss (38mins)

CLOUGH-BALLACOLLA: Adam Gorman; Brandon Boyhan, Lochlainn Conway, Edward Meade; Garry Whelan, Joe Corby, Paddy Meade; Padraig Brennan, Aaron Boyhan; Cormac Hogan, Cian Mezzapelle, Dara Fleming; Cian Coffey, Cillian Dunne, Kevin Hyland. Subs: TJ Hally for Coffey (34mins), Conor Fitzpatrick for Whelan (47mins, inj)

Referee: Anthony Stapleton (Rathdowney-Errill)