A good day of trade took place at Carlow Mart’s show and sale last Monday with over 280 lots of cattle up for sale.
There was a large selection of bullocks and calves, with light numbers of heifers and bulls. There were over 20 lots of cows.
A pair of 905kg Charolais bullocks achieved €2030, which was the highest price on the day. While the top weight on the day was a 995kg Belgian Blue.
There was a good trade in calves on the day with the average price for a Friesian bull calf being €145, while a Hereford bull calf hit €265 on average.
Bullocks were acquiring good prices with a 550kg Limousine bullock reaching an average price of €1390.
A 400kg Charolais bull was making €1020 on average while a 370kg Charolais heifer made €960 on average.
The prize winners on the day were:
- Factory bullock winner – Paddy Doyle, Rathellan, Leighlinbridge, Carlow.
- Forward Store bullock winner – Jimmy Walsh, Pollerton Little, Carlow.
- Best Store bullock winner – Hilda Rothwell, Ballycormack, Bagenalstown.
- Best forward any other breed bullock winner – Jimmy Walsh, Pollerton Little, Carlow.
- Small Store bullock winner – Sam Thompson, Derrylehan, Ballacolla, Co. Laois.
- Bull weanling winner – Michael Roche, Banagalole, Old Leighlin Carlow.