Home Sport GAA Portlaoise and Graiguecullen crowned Laois Feile football champions

Portlaoise and Graiguecullen crowned Laois Feile football champions

Portlaoise and Graiguecullen will represent Laois

For the second year running, Portlaoise and Graiguecullen will be the two football clubs that will represent Laois at the All-Ireland U-14 competition this summer.

Both sides ran out comprehensive winners in one-sided finals played at the Training Centre this afternoon.

The competition this year will be played in Meath, Down and Louth.

The draw for it took place two weeks ago and Portlaoise, who are down as Laois 1, will be based in Down and compete in Division 2.

They will be in Group A alongside Down outfits Mayobridge and Warrenpoint along with South London.

Graiguecullen will also be based in Down and will take part in Division 5 of the tournament.

They have been placed in Group B along with home teams Saul and Liatroim while the third side is the not yet confirmed champions of Co Leitrim.

Here is a run down of each of the finals.

Portlaoise 6-5 Portarlington 0-0 

Midlands Park Hotel Feile ‘A’ Final


A very physical Portlaoise team were crowned A champions following an emphatic 23 point victory over Portarlington.

The young Town side played with the wind in the first half and built up a lead which set them up for the win.

While two quick goals directly after half time broke Portarlington’s spirit and saw them crowned champions.

Lee Smyth and Richie Whelan got them on their way early on with two goals in the opening five minutes.

Kieran O’Donnell and Barry Fitzpatrick added points but Portarlington battled well for the next ten minutes against the wind to limit Portlaoise to just two more scores.

They came in the form of a second goal for Richie Whelan and a point from Conor Brown to move them 3-3 to 0-0 ahead by the break.


Portarlington turned with the wind at their backs but it was Portlaoise who put the game to bed early.

Straight from the throw in captain Barry Fitzpatrick sprinted up the pitch and fed Jamie O’Callghan who jinked inside before finishing into the corner.

Colin McEvoy added a point before Richie Whelan rammed home Portlaoise’s fifth goal to seal things.

Portarlington kept plugging away with Darragh Slevin popping up everywhere but they just couldn’t get the score they deserved.

And in the end, Portlaoise added a sixth goal through Kieran O’Donnell before substitute Matthew Coonan put the icing on the cake with a late point.

Portlaoise captain Barry Fitzpatrick receives the cup from Sean Connolly
Portlaoise captain Barry Fitzpatrick receives the cup from Sean Connolly

SCORERS – Portlaoise: Richie Whelan 2-0, Kieran O’Donnell and Barry Fitzpatrick 1-1 each Lee Smyth and Jamie O’Callaghan 1-0 each, Conor Brown, Colin McEvoy and Matthew Coonan 0-1 each

PORTLAOISE: Brochan O’Reilly; Matt Walsh, Jack McGrath, Eoin Murphy; Conor Ging, James Conroy, Dylan Cahill; Barry Fitzpatrick, Richie Whelan; Kieran O’Donnell, Conor Brown, Colin McEvoy; Jamie O’Callaghan, Ben Hyland-Conlon, Lee Smyth. Subs: Marc Bracken, Seán O’Sullivan, Matthew Coonan, Seán Wallace, Adam Glynn, John Ging, Conor Raggit, Paul Flanagan

PORTARLINGTON: Kailyn Flood; Jack Murphy, Aaron Brooke, Matthew O’Sullivan; Seán Michael Bracken, Patrick Bennett, Hugo Emerson; Conor Weldon, Ben McEvoy; Jordan Downey, Darragh Slevin, Seán Bennett; Luke McEvoy, Jack Hynes, Conor Maher. Subs: Josh Farrell, Seán Michael Ward, Cian Barry

Referee: JJ Kirby (The Heath)

Graiguecullen 6-7 The Heath 1-1

Midlands Park Hotel Feile ‘B’ Football Final


Like the first final, one side proved far too strong for the other and this time that was Graiguecullen.

They played with the wind in the first half and full forward Jamie Murphy was in inspired form, landing 2-3.

He got a goal with their first attack and Graiguecullen had another with their second when Jack Byrne’s shot came back off the bar and Dylan Murphy was there to tap home the rebound.

Byrne and Scott Roycroft kicked a point each while Jamie Murphy added 1-3 to his tally to leave it 3-5 to 0-0 to Graiguecullen at half time.

The Heath

The Heath had the wind now in the second half and they began well with the impressive Ben Doyle kicking a point.

But Graiguecullen responded emphatically as Aaron Dorgan surged forward and picked out Murphy who completed his hat-trick.

Mickey Daly did hit the net for The Heath to reduce the gap to 13 but that was a close as they would come.

Scott Roycroft and Naoise Brennan scored late goals while Jamie Murphy and Dylan Murphy chipped in with points to settle the game.

Jack Byrne receives the cup from Seán Connolly

SCORERS – Graiguecullen: Jamie Murphy 3-4 (two frees), Dylan Murphy and Scott Roycroft 1-1 each, Naoise Brennan 1-0, Jack Byrne 0-1 The Heath: Mickey Daly 1-0, Ben Doyle 0-1

GRAIGUECULLEN: Patrick Nolan; Danny McGrath, Conor Harte, Oran O’Reilly; Joao Salvador, Seán McGrath, Dylan Williamson; Jack Byrne, Aaron Dorgan; Naoise Brennan, Scott Roycroft, Joshua Bienko; John O’Shea, Jamie Murphy, Dylan Murphy. Subs: Harry Forbes, Alex O’Sullivan, Alex Downes, Jake Murphy, Cody Nolan, Ewan Morrissey, Aaron Scully, Ricky Slattery, Mikie Hourihan, David Corcoran, Scott McEvoy, Jamie Dorgan, Joe Fitzpatrick

THE HEATH: Dylan Keyes; Jack Graham, Jack Ahern, Aidan Moloney; Eoin Sherlock, Dara Lewis, PJ Larkin; Mickey Daly, Cian Woolich; Alex Bennett, Ben Doyle, Noah Thompson; Mickey Harrison, Brian Keane, John McNamara. Subs: Scott Booth, Mark Carroll, Darragh Walker, Sam Rooney, Seán Kirby

Referee: Darren Bracken (Portarlington)

SEE ALSO – WATCH: Old Portlaoise primary school set on fire