Home Sport Rugby Portlaoise RFC U-15s continue winning streak

Portlaoise RFC U-15s continue winning streak

Portlaoise 48 Edenderry 5

Portlaoise RFC U15s welcomed Edenderry to Togher on Saturday for their Leinster League game.

Edenderry started strongly and only a superb tap tackle by Mikie Daly stopped them from a certain try after their centre broke through from his own half.

Portlaoise battled back up the field and after several phases won a scrum on the Edenderry five metre line. After a subsequent ruck, Conor Doran picked and drove over the line to score the first try. Dylan Cahill converted to give the home side a 7 point lead.

Edenderry were not giving up that easily and after they won a penalty on the Porttlaoise 22, they ran it out wide. Daly tried the tap tackle again but this time he was rounded with ease and gave Edenderry an easy try.

Portlaoise started to gain control of the match and after winning a penalty for a high tackle, Ciaran Culliton ran from his own half to score a superb try under the posts. Dylan Cahill converted, 14 5 to Portlaoise.

Portlaoise continued to put pressure on the away side any time they had the ball and after a double tackle by Callen Dunne and Bobo Lawal, Bobo stripped the ball from the Edenderry centre. He created the fast ball for Cahill to round the Edenderry winger and go under the posts for his first try. He duly converted to leave the half time score 21 5 to Portlaoise.

The second half was only five minutes old when Dara Phelan picked the ball from a ruck and sheer determination saw the Abbeyleix man drive his way over the line for his team’s fourth try, the conversion was missed.

From the kick off, just two passes from Ciaran Culliton and Brian Keane sent Dylan Cahill clear to go over for his second try. Again the conversion was missed but the score was 31 5 to Portlaoise.

Edenderry had no answer and the only time they entered the Portlaoise half was from the kick offs. They continued to make handling errors and after Conor Doran picked up a loose ball, Culliton was released on the right hand side, chipped the ball over the defence and followed up to score his second try of the game.

The home side continued to attack and after a line out on the half way, they released the ball out their back line to James Kidd who used his scintillating speed to round the defence and score in the corner.

From the the kick off, Portlaoise returned to the Edenderry half and Glen Connolly received the ball. He broke several tackles to score under the posts, Cahill converted to leave the final score 48 5 to Portlaoise.

This was a much improved game for the home side with some great work by Cian Coffey and Glen Connolly in the forwards, and in the backs, Brian Keane and Ciaran Culliton excelled both in attack and defence.

Next up for Portlaoise is the first round of the cup, with an away game versus Carlow.

Squad: Callen Dunne, Dara Phelan, Bobo Lawal, Glen Connolly, Darragh Davies, Daragh Phelan, Cian Coffey, Conor Doran, Matthew Coonan, Mitch Fitzpatrick, Mikie Daly, Brian Keane, Ciaran Culliton, Dylan Cahill, James Kidd, Eoin O’Brien McCormack, Declan Cox, Marc Bracken, Paul Flanagan.

SEE ALSO – In Pictures: Laois Athletes light up Athlone Indoor Arena