After four counts of no-one reaching the quota in the Borris-in-Ossory/Mountmellick area, Paddy Bracken is the first over the line on the fifth count.
The Mountmellick man received 1752 votes on the fifth count, after receiving 187 of Fergal Conroy’s votes from the fourth round of counting.
Bracken has been a member of Laois County Council since October 2003 when he was co-opted in place of John Moloney when TDs were no longer allowed to also sit on the council.
He had been a member of Mountmellick Town Council at the time and was first elected to that in 1987.He has since been re-elected to the Council in 2004, 2009 and 2014. He received 1,051 first preferences in 2014.
Prior to the fifth round of votes, Independent councillor James Kelly was on top since earning 1,517 first preference votes.
He is now second in the running with 1648 votes.
- Paddy Bracken (FF) 1752 votes
- James Kelly (Ind) 1648 votes
- Seamus McDonald (FF) 1395 votes
- John King (FG) 1274 votes
- Ollie Clooney (Ind) 1171 votes
- David Goodwin (FG) 1067 votes
- Conor Bergin (FG) 1042 votes
- Brendan Phelan (Ind) 976 votes
- Lorna Holohan Garry (SF) 819 votes
- Liam O’Neill (FF) 637 votes