Home Sport GAA Super second half sees Laois U-20s dump All-Ireland champions Kildare out

Super second half sees Laois U-20s dump All-Ireland champions Kildare out

Laois 0-17 Kildare 1-11
EirGrid Leinster U-20 Football Championship Round 1

The Laois U-20 footballers have dumped All-Ireland champions Kildare out of the Leinster championship in Newbridge this evening.

Billy O’Loughlin’s charges trailed by a point at half time but led by captain Diarmuid Whelan they turned it around to win.

The first half was very even although the home side led for most of it.

Kildare got the first three scores through Luke Griffen, Liam O’Flynn and Jack Cully but Laois showed their attacking intent with Alan Kinsella setting up Dan McCormack who saw his shot saved by keeper Aaron O’Neill.

Diarmuid Whelan opened Laois’s account and although Kildare went three clear again through Darragh Kirwan, the sides were level after 12 minutes.

Whelan tapped over two frees and Michael Doran added another to level the game at 0-4 apiece.

However, Kildare then took over again with Darragh Kirwan, Jack Cully, Colm Joyce and Brian McDonnell kicking them four ahead.

However, Laois finished the half strongly with Eoin Dunne firing a 45, Doran landing one from play and Whelan adding another to leave it 0-8 to 0-7 in Kildare’s favour at half time.

Laois made the perfect start to the second half as wing back Dean Brophy levelled the game and then Whelan put them ahead for the first time after 35 minutes.

Whelan kicked two more and Laois now led by three points with twenty minutes to play.

Darragh Kirwan hit back for Kildare but Michael Doran and Ronan Coffey pushed Laois four ahead again – Coffey opting to fist over the bar from the angle with Niall Dunne free inside him.

Laois were on top now and Whelan’s seventh point put Laois 0-14 to 0-9 ahead after 50 minutes.

Darragh Kirwan grabbed just Kildare’s second point of the half by Michael Doran’s fourth kept the margin at five as we entered the final five.

Whelan took his tally to eight but Jack Cully’s point left five in it as we entered injury time.

Kildare were awarded a penalty in the fifth minute of injury time which Luke Griffen scores but Whelan kicked a last minute point to settle it.

SCORERS – LAOIS: Diarmuid Whelan 0-10 (four frees), Michael Doran 0-4, Eoin Dunne 0-1 (one 45), Dean Brophy 0-1, Ronan Coffey 0-1 KILDARE: Luke Griffin 1-2 (two frees), Liam O’Flynn 0-1, Jack Cully 0-2 (one free), Darragh Kirwan 0-3, Colm Joyce 0-2, Brian McDonnell 0-1

LAOIS: Matthew Byron (Courtwood); Michael Dowling (Portlaoise), Seamus Lacey (Ballylinan), Alex Mohan (Portarlington); Colin Slevin (Portarlington), Jack Lacey (St Joseph’s), Dean Brophy (St Joseph’s); Rob Tyrell (Camross), Eoin Dunne (Rosenallis); Ronan Coffey (Portarlington), Michael Doran (Killeshin), Niall Dunne (Courtwood); Alan Kinsella (Courtwood), Dan McCormack (O’Dempsey’s), Diarmuid Whelan (Ballyroan-Abbey). Subs Jack Owens (Emo) for McCormack (50), Mikie Dempsey (St Joseph’s) for Dunne (51), PJ Daly (The Heath) for Doran (55), Jason Maher (Portlaoise) for Kinsella (58), Kevin Byrne (Ballylinan) for Slevin (59)

KILDARE: Aaron O’Neill; Niall O’Sullivan, Mark Barrett, Caolan Halpin; Evin McGovern, DJ Earley, Darragh Ryan; James Carey, James Burke; Liam O’Flynn, Darragh Kirwan, Brian McDonnell; Colm Joyce, Luke Griffin, Jack Cully. Subs: Sean Cullen for O’Flynn, Shane O’Sullivan for Joyce, Paudie Behan for Carey, Brian Stynes for Halpin (black card), Paddy McDermott for McGovern, Adam Stead for McDermott

Referee: Barry Tiernan

SEE ALSO – Laois hurler who won a Leinster football title in Croke Park hoping to emulate success this weekend