Home Gaelic Football Club Football Three-goal Killeshin power past Stradbally challenge

Three-goal Killeshin power past Stradbally challenge

Stephen Attride

Brought to you in association with Sammy Kelly Builders

Killeshin 3-14 Stradbally 2-6
Laois Shopping Centre Senior Football Championship Round 1

Killeshin advanced to the Round 2 Winners Section in style following an 11 point win over Stradbally in O’Moore Park this evening.

Maurice Browne’s men were in charge from the start and recorded a very easy win over a disappointing Stradbally outfit.

Both sides were without a number of their regular players for the game. Killeshin didn’t have Adam Deering, Shane Bolger and Evan Lowry who are all in America while Stradbally were down seven of their team that started their 2018 quarter final defeat to St Joseph’s.

Colin Beale, Jamie Kavanagh, Liam Knowles, Joe Lacey, Colm Kelly and Jody Dillon were all missing for the Little Town and they struggled in their absence.

The first half was one of the most open 30 minute periods of football you are ever likely to see with the sides creating a total of eight goal chances between them and taking three.

Killeshin had the ball in the net with 53 seconds on the clock when Brian Lowry waltzed through the Stradbally defence and rifled a shot into the roof of the net.

Killeshin were rampant early on and added another three points through David Aston, Luke Attride and Eoin Lowry before Stradbally finally opened their account after 10 minutes.

Quick hands from Tom Shiel set Darren Maher away and he shot low into the bottom corner of Shane Coakley’s net.

Eoin Buggie added a point but Killeshin hit back with their second goal after David Aston blasted a shot which deflected off Stradbally defender Jason Earley who was desperately trying to keep it out.

Stradbally almost responded with another goal when Justin Lalor set Jack Deegan away but his shot trailed wide of the post. Darren Maher would go close again for a second goal later in the half but his shot was brilliant blocked by Keelan Galligan.

Killeshin too had goal chances through Cathal Brennan and Eoin Lowry but both of those resulted in points – the latter coming after a great Wayne Comerford save.

The sides traded points until half time though as Killeshin took a 2-8 to 1-4 into the half time break.

The second half was slow to get going and we had to wait until its eleventh minute for the first score of it – a David Aston free which put Killeshin eight points clear.

Sub Mark McDermott added to Killeshin’s advantage with his first touch while Stradbally’s first score of the second half arrived after 45 minutes through captain Tom Shiel.

But Killeshin responded with two quick points from U-20 star to move them 2-12 to 1-5 with 13 minutes of normal time remaining.

Stradbally were completely despondent now as Aston converted another free before the excellent Doran kicked another to go 12 points clear after 50 minutes.

Justin Lalor hit back for Stradbally and then they were awarded a penalty after 54 minutes when Benny Lawlor was fouled just inside the box.

He took it but keeper Shane Coakley saved it only for the rebound to come back to Tom Shiel who gave it back to Lawlor and he made no mistake this time.

But Killeshin were not about to let this slip and they broke down the wing where Michael Doran slipped captain Stephen Attride through and he rounded advancing Stradbally keeper Wayne Comerford to score the game’s fifth goal.

That would be it as Killeshin head for the winners round while Stradbally will need to regroup for Round 2 in the losers section.

SCORERS – STRADBALLY: Darren Maher 1-1, Benny Lalwor 1-0, Eoin Buggie 0-1, Jack Deegan 0-1, Colm Begley 0-1, Tom Shiel 0-1, Justin Lalor 0-1 KILLESHIN: Eoin Lowry 0-3, Brian Lowry 1-0, David Aston 1-3 (three free), Stephen Attride 1-0, Luke Attride 0-1, Cathal Brennan 0-2, Mark McDermott 0-1, Michael Doran 0-3, Ross Bolger 0-1

STRADBALLY: Wayne Comerford; Colm Clancy, Eamon Conlon, Liam Clancy; Damien Murphy, Colm Begley, Kilian Mcgannon; Darren Maher, Eoin Buggie; Padraig Fitzpatrick, Jack Deegan, Jason Earley, Tom Shiel, Benny Lawlor. Subs: John Clancy for Mcgannon (52)

KILLESHIN: Shane Coakley; Jeremy Mahon, Kevin Ryan, Keelan Galligan; Pauric Bolton, Stephen Attride, David Aston; Brian Lowry, Gavin Brennan; Luke Attride, Michael Doran, Arnie Mahon; Eoin Lowry, Cathal Brennan, Ross Bolger. Subs: Paddy Doyle for Bolton (ht), Mark McDermott for G Brennan (42), Fionn Maher for C Brennan and James Davis for B Lowry (both 59)

Referee: Seamus Mulhare (The Heath)

SEE ALSO – All of Thursday’s Laois GAA results

Previous articleLIVE BLOG: Follow the action as Stradbally and Killeshin face off in their opening SFC game
Next articleLaois U-15 footballers set for huge semi-finals vs Cork
Stradbally native Alan Hartnett is a graduate of Knockbeg College who has worked in the local and national media since 2008. Alan has a BA in Economics, Politics and Law and an MA in Journalism from DCU. His happiest moment was when Jody Dillon scored THAT goal in the Laois senior football final in 2016.