Home Gaelic Football Club Football Finlay stars as O’Dempsey’s secure semi-final place against 14-man Kilcavan

Finlay stars as O’Dempsey’s secure semi-final place against 14-man Kilcavan

Kilcavan 3-9 O’Dempsey’s 3-14
Laois Shopping Centre JFC ‘A’ Quarter-final

O’Dempsey’s are through to a Junior ‘A’ semi-final after a superb victory over Kilcavan in what was a super game of football.

Two late goals for Kilcavan wasn’t enough as O’Dempsey’s had enough on the scoreboard for them to progress to a semi-final.

The dismissal of Kilcavan’s Paul Bolton by referee John Murphy for two yellow cards just before half time was the turning point in the game as it meant the men in maroon had to play the entire second half with 14 men.

Both teams took a few minutes to find their feet with the first score coming from an Eoin Finlay free.

Darragh McEvoy replied with a point from play after good build-up play by Kilcavan.

Finlay then pointed a scrumptious score with the outside of his boot.

Kilcavan’s reply this time was to be a goal as good running from Mark Grennan gave Evan Hunt a chance to raise a green flag.

Tom Behan got the first of his three points as his side replied well to going behind.

Evan Hunt copied Finlay in his technique and also slotted over with the outside of his boot.

O’Dempsey’s ramped up the pressure and scored 1-2 in a matter of minutes.

Finlay getting in for a goal after a great off the ball run by Behan gave Finlay to chance to slot it beyond Stephen Hunt in the goal.

Behan got his second of the game before Stephen O’Leary opened his account in the game.

Oliver Dixon replied with a good score from play. Kilcavan were down on the scoreboard and would also be down in players as Paul Bolton received his marching orders for two yellow cards.

A free from Finlay and a point from Liam Whelehan ended the first-half scoring with O’Dempsey’s leading 1-7 to 1-3 at the break.

O’Dempsey’s started the second-half as they ended the first-half with two points. The first coming from Ciaran McManus before Finlay pointed after a good run.

Grennan pointed before Dixon slotted over as Kilcavan likes to eat into the deficit.

O’Leary tapped over a free and Jack Lennon pointed from play as O’Dempsey’s continued to tack scores onto the scoreboard.

Behan got his third of the game as his side now led by seven. Gearoid Tracey got Kilcavan back on track with a fine goal.

O’Leary responded with a free for O’Dempsey’s. Kilcavan were right back in the game and scored two points on the spin. Ronan Gorry and Jason Maher slotting over.

There was three between the sides before O’Dempsey’s killed the game off with another goal from Finlay and point from substitute Mark McCormack.

Ciaran McManus raising another green flag as the game now looked to be out of Kilcavan’s reach.

Kilcavan threw everything at O’Dempsey’s for the last five minutes and got another 1-2 before the end of the game.

Tracey fisted over before Maher rifled the ball beyond Hogan in the O’Dempsey’s goal. Derek O’Connell ended the game’s scoring.

O’Dempsey’s will be delighted with the win and had Kilcavan had 15 on the pitch at the end, who knows what way the game would have swayed.

SCORERS – Kilcavan: Evan Hunt, Jason Maher, Gearoid Treacy 1-1 each , Oliver Dixon 0-2, Darragh McEvoy, Ronan Gorry, Mark Grennan , Derek O’Connell 0-1 each O’Dempsey’s : Eoin Finlay 2-4 (two frees), Ciaran McManus 1-1, Tom Behan, Stephen O’Leary (two frees) 0-3 each, Jack Lennon, Liam Whelehan, Mark McCormack 0-1 each

KILCAVAN: Stephen Hunt; Declan Conroy, Michael Bermingham, John McEvoy; Dean O’Brien, Edward Conroy, Ronan Gorry; Barry Mangan, Gearoid Treacy; Mark Grennan, Evan Hunt, Darragh McEvoy; Rory O’Connell, Oliver Dixon, Paul Bolton. Subs: Derek O’Connell for O’Connell (HT), Jason Maher for Conroy (41), Manus Dunne for J McEvoy (57), Johnny Carroll for Hunt (58,inj), Jimmy Mangan for Dixon (62)

O’DEMPSEY’S: Shane Hogan; Chris McCormack, Richie Whelehan, Eoin Cunningham; Fionn Holland, Aidan McClernon, Ciaran McManus; Tom Behan, Pat Maher; Liam Whelehan, Eoin Finlay, Jack Lennon; Stephen O’Leary, Darren Finlay, Daithi Howlin. Subs: Eoin Fitzpatrick for McCormack (HT), Mark McCormack for Daithi Howlin (50), Lorcan O’Sullivan for D Finlay (59)

Referee: John Murphy (Crettyard)

SEE ALSO – Check out all our Laois JFC coverage here