Laois-Offaly Sinn Féin TD Brian Stanley has said his party’s Alternative Budget 2020 is aimed at ending the rip-off and giving families and workers a break.
“Sinn Féin’s alternative budget proposals include a provision for two free GP visits for every person without a medical card, a rent freeze and a relief worth one month’s rent, free travel on public transport for five to eighteen-year-olds and a reduction in the cost of childcare by an average of €100 a month per child.’
“The upcoming budget needs to do two things: end the rip off and give workers and families a break and secure Ireland’s future if there is a crash out Brexit.
The Portlaoise-based TD added that “there is something seriously wrong when the vast majority of people have less money in their pockets now than they did when Fine Gael, supported by Fianna Fáil, came into power three years ago”.
“The reasons for this are obvious – Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael are making bad, short term decisions that are costing the tax payer billions and they are failing to intervene to deal with out of control costs in childcare, rents and essential household bills like insurance and mortgage interest payments.
“The consequence is that insurance companies, banks and landlords are making billions while workers and families are being ripped off.
“Sinn Féin’s Alternative Budget offers clear, realisable solutions to the rip-off living costs faced by countless families – sky-high insurance premiums, extortionate rents and unaffordable childcare costs. Together, these ensure that Ireland’s cost of living is among the most unaffordable in the developed world.
“The budget cannot be just about survival, it must be about ensuring working people can have a decent quality of life.
“Sinn Féin’s alternative budget will give workers and families a break. We will:
- Help renters by introducing an emergency freeze on rents and bringing in rent relief which would save them the equivalent of one month’s rent each year.
- Help families by reducing the cost of childcare by an average of €100 a month per child.
- Provide two free GP visits for every person without a medical card – so nobody delays going to the doctor because they are worried about the cost.
- Give the Self-employed the same tax credits as PAYE workers.
- Ensure there is No carbon tax increase in Budget 2020.
- End the insurance rip-off – by abolishing the Government levy and then going after the industry to reduce their sky-high premiums.
- Invest an additional €300 million to give people with disabilities and their families a break.’’
“Our budget proposals do not require extra borrowing by the State. Overall they will benefit all middle- and low-income households.”