Home Gaelic Football Club Football 14-man Rosenallis go down to Kilkenny champions as Leinster final dream dies

14-man Rosenallis go down to Kilkenny champions as Leinster final dream dies

Brought to you in association with Telfords

Rosenallis 1-7 Mullinavat 2-10
Leinster Club IFC Semi-Final

Rosenallis’ Leinster football campaign is over after they were beaten by Kilkenny champions Mullinavat this afternoon.

Paddy Dunne’s men lost Ronan Murray to a red card in the early stages of the half and they just couldn’t cope with that numerical disadvantage although they fought right to the end.

However, a goal in either half helped Mullinavat to make history by becoming the first ever Kilkenny adult football team to reach a Leinster club final.

Poor weather forced this game to be changed this morning to MW Hire Kilkenny GAA Training Centre and on a heavy pitch, scores were hard to come by.

Mullinavat took the lead after four minutes through a fisted Tom Alyward effort but Rosenallis levelled matters instantly through Donnagh Callally.

But disaster would soon befall Rosenallis when John Walsh and Ronan Murray became involved off the ball and after consultation with his umpires – the referee showed a yellow card to the Mullinavat man and a red to Murray meaning Rosenallis would have to play the remaining 53 minutes with 14 men.

Michael Malone pushed Mullinavat ahead for a second time but Eoin Dunne levelled matters again at the midpoint of the half.

However, Rosenallis would only add one more point to their tally through Brian Fitzpatrick as Mullinavat took a four point lead into half time.

Ian Duggan and Malone added frees before they were then awarded a penalty which John Walsh converted to leave them 1-4 to 0-3 ahead.

Mullinavat extended their lead to six in the first seven minutes of the second half and although James Jackson hit back for Rosenallis with his first touch, further disaster would follow for the Laois men.

With 40 minutes on the clock, a misplaced defensive pass set Jamie Fennelly through and he beat Tommy Shelly from close range.

Cillian Callally and Michael Malone traded scored to leave it 2-7 to 0-5 as we entered the final quarter.

Adam McDermott and Cillian Callally cut the gap to six with two quickfire points but Mullinavat responded with two of their own via Ian Duggan and Tom Alyward with 50 minutes on the clock.

Rosenallis kept fighting though and a James Jackson penalty set up an interesting conclusion as, with seven minutes to play, Michael Malone was sent off for Mullinavat with a black, and having already been booked, a red – meaning both sides would play out the remainder with 14 men.

But Mullinavat restored their six point lead through Ian Duggan and then held on to win.

SCORERS – Rosenallis: Eoin Dunne 0-1 (one free), Donnagh Callally 0-2, Brian Fitzpatrick 0-1, James Jackson 1-1 (1-0 pen, one free), Cillian Callally 0-1, Adam McDermott 0-1 Mullinavat: Michael Malone 0-3, Ian Duggan 0-3 (one free), John Walsh (pen) and Jamie Fennelly 1-0 each, Tom Alyward 0-2, Mark Mansfield and, Adam Mansfield 0-1 each

ROSENALLIS: Tommy Shelly; John Maher, Ruaidhri C-Fennell, Adam McDermott; Marcus Redmond, Cathal C-Fennell, Fiachra C-Fennell; Eoin Dunne, John Lennon; Joey Shelly, Cillian Callally, Mark Dunne; Donnagh Callally, Ronan Murray, Brian Fitzpatrick Subs: Jack Friel for Lennon (27), James Jackson for J Shelly (ht), Donal Lawlor for McDermott and Paddy Keating for D Callally (both 59)

MULLINAVAT: Killian Dunphy; Joe Fennelly, Shane Kelly, Mikey Jones; Mark Mansfield, Ger Malone, John Walsh; Tom Alyward, Michael Malone; Conor Duggan, Ian Duggan, Adam Mansfield; Brian Phelan, Jamie Fennelly, Oisin Knox. Subs: Liam Fennelly for A Mansfield (47)

SEE ALSO – Books, jersey and hats – the LaoisToday store is now open

Previous articleRemember the Game: When the rain got the better of Portlaoise and Clara in 2009
Next articleLaous U-16s brave comeback falls short as Sligo claim Fr Manning Cup glory