Home Sport GAA Barry to the rescue as Laois hold off Wexford in Round 2...

Barry to the rescue as Laois hold off Wexford in Round 2 of O’Byrne Cup

Laois 1-12 Wexford 1-11
Bord na Mona O’Byrne Cup Round 2

The Laois senior footballers travelled to Enniscorthy where they had a nail biting win over Wexford this afternoon.

It was another experimental pick as Mike Quirke introduced another group of new players from last week’s clash against neighbours, Offaly.

Shane Bolger, Seamus Lacey, Mark Barry, Alan Kinsella, Colin Slevin, Eoin Dunne, Rob Tyrell and Sean Michael Corcoran were all in the thick of the action as a youthful Laois side scored a last gasp point to seal the first victory of Mike Quirke’s reign this afternoon.

Laois looked good be cruising to a three point win but a Wexford goal in the second minute of injury levelled the game only for Mark Barry to prove to be the hero with virtually the final kick

Colin Slevin, Shane Bolger, Eoin Dunne and Sean Michael Corcoran also made their senior debuts.

Wexford were off to the better start after they popped over their first point within a minute of throw in but Ross Munnelly was on hand to convert back-to-back two frees in the following three minutes.

Wexford took full advantage on their attack and went two points clear after 10 minutes. It was almost another four minute before the next score of the game which extended Wexford’s lead to three points.

Mike Quirke’s men were yet to score from play as Munnelly slotted over their third free of the game in after 18 minutes.

Just moments later, Diarmuid Whelan scored Laois’ first point from play from a long range kick to bring the game back to a point but Wexford responded with another score.

Not to any surprise, Munnelly’s kicking was on form and he popped over another free in the form of a free.

And then came a huge boost for Laois. O’Dempsey’s Mark Barry found the back of the Wexford net with a great goal heading for the dying minutes of the first half.

Whelan again added to the tally with another point from play before Wexford raised the white flag.

Laois’ last score of the half came off the boot of Mark Barry to leave the half time score 1-7 to 0-6 points.

Wexford got the second half up and running with the first score from play. Brian Daly stepped up with a response to allow Laois to keep their lead.

Three points from Wexford were unanswered until the 61st minute when Colm Murphy kicked Laois’ 9th point.

Mark Barry had a superb game in the blue and white jersey and it was the O’Dempsey’s man who extended Laois’ lead heading for the final five minutes.

Sean Michael Corcoran was introduced into the game in the 66th minute and it was only a matter of minutes before the 18-year-old had his first point under his belt.

Drama followed into the final minutes as Wexford drew the game with a great goal but it was Mark Barry who saved the day after he converted a free just before the final whistle.

SCORERS – Laois: Ross Munnelly; 0-4 (0-4 frees), Mark Barry; 1-3 (0-1 free), Diarmuid Whelan; 0-2, Brian Daly, Colm Murphy; Sean Michael Corcoran; 0-1 each Wexford: Colm Feeney; 1-4, Ben Brosnan; 0-3, Tom Byrne, Johnathan Bealin; 0-1

LAOIS – Eoghan Keogh; Brian Byrne, Gearoid Hanrahan, Shane Bolger; Patrick O’Sullivan, Seamus Lacey, Robert Pigott; John O’Loughlin, Sean Byrne; Mark Barry, Brian Daly, Diarmuid Whelan; Ross Munnelly, Colm Murphy, Alan Kinsella. Subs: Colin Slevin for Munnelly (35 minutes), Trevor Collins for Pigott (47 minutes), Ruaidhri C Fennell for B Byrne (50 minutes), Eoin Dunne for Daly (55 minutes), Rob Tyrell for S Byrne (63 minutes), Sean Michael Corcoran for D Whelan (66 minutes)

WEXFORD – Patrick Doyle; Oisin Foley, Jim Rossiter, Martin O’Connor; Robbie Barron, Eoin Porter, Conor Carty; Eoghan Nolan, Glen malone; Conor Devitt, Johnathan Bealin, Tom Byrne; Ben Brosnan, Colm Feeney, Sean Ryan

SEE ALSO – Laois hurling boss hits out at pre-season competitions as 2020 set to start