One of the first initiatives of this year’s Cruinniu na nÓg , a national day of creativity for young people, is an Open Mic Night.
This is a super opportunity for up and coming musicians to showcase their work and also to win some great prizes.
Music Generation Laois in association with Creative Ireland Laois are looking for young musicians from across the country to submit a video of their original music songs/tunes /compositions/raps or electronic music.
The deadline for entries is 5pm, Friday 29 May, 2020.
The aim is to receive as many videos as possible to create an amazing celebration of upcoming talent and original music.
On the 13th of June the videos that match the criteria below will be compiled and live-streamed on the Online Open Mic night.
This project is all about being original and creative. There are just a few set criteria:
1. Original music/creations only
2. Open to those aged between 12-18 years
3. Videos should be a min of 1 minute and no more than 2 minutes.
4. Videos need to have good sound and lighting
5. All videos should be filmed in landscape
6. Group performances are accepted; as long as they are created following Government guidelines on social distancing (acapella app/similar recordings etc. are welcome)
7. Parents/ family members can assist in making the video
8. For electronic music videos you are welcome to submit visuals to accompany your music.
9. Deadline for entries is 5pm, Friday 29 May, 2020.
What kinds of music creations are accepted?
It’s totally up to you. As long as it’s an original piece you can perform a tune/song you composed; a rap you created; electronic music you created or even a series of sounds created by you using objects from your home.
It can be any genre – pop, rock, jazz, funk, soul, dance, techno, trad, folk, contemporary, world, gospel anything you want. The more unique the better.
Prizes and glory
All entries will be viewed by a panel of professional musicians from Music Generation Laois. This panel will then choose a selection of entries to be showcased at the Open Mic Night on the 13th of June 2020.
There are 2 prizes available for entries that ooze originality and musical creativity:
National Prize: Win 1 day recording in Golden Egg Studios world-class recording facility in Co. Laois. Open to any young musician age 12-18 living on the island of Ireland.
Laois Prize: For up and coming musicians from Co. Laois! Win 1 year’s free music lessons in Music Generation Laois. Open to young musicians age 12-18 and living in Co. Laois.
Cruinniu na nÓg is a national day of free creativity for children and young people across Ireland. It is an initiative of the Creative Ireland Programme (2018-2022) in partnership with Laois County Council and RTÉ.