Home Sport GAA St Joseph’s see off 13-man Barrowhouse in JFC but both reach quarter...

St Joseph’s see off 13-man Barrowhouse in JFC but both reach quarter finals

The Laois Ladies senior footballer championship has been delayed following an appeal

Barrowhouse 0-6 St Joseph’s 3-9
Laois JFC Round 3

St Joseph’s had a big win over a 13-man Barrowhouse this evening – but both sides will qualify for the quarter finals.

Joseph’s went into the game needing to win and they scored three goals in the final eight minutes to romp to victory in an entertaining and highly eventful game.

It left them, Barrowhouse and Camross tied at the top on four points each and because Errill gave Camross a walkover, the old rule would’ve meant that points difference cannot be used to split the teams so a playoff would have to take place.

However, Rule 6.21 d(i) in the GAA Official Guide 2020 means that if the team who gave the walkover is not involved in the tie, their results can be disregarded and the points difference from the teams who are level can be used to split them.

So, St Joseph’s top the group with +11, Barrowhouse are second on -3 and Camross end up third on -8.

St Joseph’s got the first score of the game through a Dan Dunne free. But Barrowhouse quickly replied with three points in a row through a brace from Fergal Murphy and one from Andrew Baldwin.

Barrowhouse played with a strong wind in the first half and they took advantage of this as Martin Murphy and Emmet Malone pointed from long range. Thus giving Barrowhouse a three point lead at the water break – 0-5 to 0-2.

The the remainder of the first half was a very tight affair as St Joseph’s began to work their way back into the match. Dan Dunne converted a free to leave two points separating the sides.

However, with just minutes left in the half, Barrowhouse were dealt a crucial blow as Emmet Malone was forced off the field with a bad knee injury. Malone had been dominating the the midfield dual up until this and his absence was a major setback in Barrowhouse’s chance of victory.

Trailing 0-5 to 0-3 at half time, St Joseph’s used the wind to their advantage on the restart as Ian Shanahan, Stephen McDonnell and Dan Dunne pointed from range to put them one point ahead for the first time in the match.

Fergal Murphy then responded with a free to level the game at 0-6 each before St Joseph’s forward David Brennan received a black card for a foul on Murphy.

However, Barrowhouse’s one man advantage did not last very long as they were reduced to 13 players five minutes later.

A melee broke out on the sideline amongst the players. When it all calmed down, referee Jamie McDonald brandished red cards to Sean Langton and Alex Robinson.

Soon after, St Joseph’s were awarded a penalty as Dan Dunne was fouled in the area. Dunne stepped up to the take the it but his effort was brilliantly saved by keeper Darragh Phelan which went out for a 45.

Dunne converted the resulting set piece which put them St Joseph’s back in front. Stephen McDonnell and Robbie Langton added two more to leave them clear with eight minutes to go.

And then St Joseph’s went goal crazy to romp home. Niall Brennan, Ian Shanahan and Stephen McDonnell all raised green flags as they won by 12 in the end.

SCORERS – Barrowhouse: Fergal Murphy 0-3 (all frees), Andrew Baldwin 0-1, Martin Murphy 0-1, Emmet Malone 0-1 St Joseph’s: Stephen McDonnell 1-2, Dan Dunne 0-5 (one 45, three frees), Ian Shanahan 1-1, Niall Brennan 1-0, Robbie Langton 0-1

St Joseph’s: Ray Kealy, Mark George, William McDonald, Robbie Langton; Daire Lacey, Cathal Fleming, Jamie Kelly; Bernard Wheatley, Ryan Hogg; Ciaran Condon, Ian Shanahan, Niall Brennan; Stephen McDonnell, Dan Dunne, David Brennan. Subs: Noel Leech for C. Fleming (HT), James Fleming for Condon (HT), Paddy Fleming for George (52)

Barrowhouse: Darragh Phelan, Thomas McDonald, Thomas Page, Denis Brophy; Alex Robinson, Martin Murphy, Sean Langton; James Baldwin, Emmet Malone; TJ Burke, Andrew Baldwin, Fergal Murphy; Sean Toumey, Luke Malone, Martin Langton. Subs: Micheal Langton for E. Malone (28), Mark Prior for Toumey (50)

Referee: Jamie McDonald (Rosenallis)


In Group A, Portlaoise qualified in top spot after receiving a walkover from Ballylinan and they will be joined in the quarter final by Ballyroan-Abbey who had a 5-15 to 3-7 win over Killeshin.

Group B as we know has St Joseph’s top and Barrowhouse second while Group C will be decided when Portarlington and The Heath meet tomorrow.

If Portarlington win, they and Kilcavan are through. If The Heath win by three points, they and Portarlington are through. But if The Heath win by five or more, Kilcavan will join them.

In Group D, Park-Ratheniska wracked up a 3-15 to 0-7 win over The Harps. They top the group and 2019 defeated finalists Castletown are also through.

SEE ALSO – Suggestion that a ‘private car park’ could help solve problems at Glenbarrow in Slieve Blooms

Previous articlePowerful Portlaoise maintain 100% record to reach Ladies county final
Next articleBecky Williams the hero as Sarsfields keep eight-in-a-row dreams alive