Home Sport GAA Trumera make numerical advantage count to reach IHC final

Trumera make numerical advantage count to reach IHC final


Brought to you in association with Telfords, Portlaoise and Mountrath

Clough-Ballacolla 0-15 Trumera 0-19
Laois Shopping Centre IHC Semi-final

Trumera used their numerical advantage to perfection as they had four points to spare over Clough-Ballacolla in Ratheniska this evening.

Clough-Ballacolla had to play with 14 men for 33 minutes after losing Canice Coonan to a straight red at the end of the first half and subsequently lost Johnny Finane to the same fate near the end too.

But Trumera were really good with John O’Connor in defence, Conor Madden and Donnacha Dowling dominating midfield, Niall Sinnott and Paddy Hosey in attack – all particularly impressive.

Trumera are back in the final for the second time since 2017 – and will now face the side they defeated back then in the decider, Rathdowney-Errill.

The game began with Clough-Ballacolla going into a two point lead earlier in the half through Canice Coonan and Damien Bergin. Trumera soon replied with two points of their own from Niall Sinnott and Paddy Hosey.

Clough-Ballacolla began to dominate the game and had two goal chances denied in quick succession. Chris Rafter’s effort hit the crossbar while Canice Coonan strike at goal was saved by Ronan Kavanagh.

Rafter and Sinnott continued to swap frees to level the game at the water break at 0-5 each.

Rhys Murphy and Sinnott raised white flags to give Trumera a two point lead for the first time in the match.

With five minutes remaining in the half Clough-Ballacolla were reduced to 14 men as Canice Coonan was sent to the line.

A Damien Bergin free was initially waved wide by the umpires, however, following consultation with referee Ronan Devaney – the point was awarded.

But, during these discussions Clough-Ballacolla’s Canice Coonan appeared to strike Trumera full back John O’Connor. This was picked up by the officials and referee Devaney showed him a straight red card meaning Ballacolla would have to play the remaining 33 minutes with 14 men.

A dramatic half saw Bergin and Sinnott exchange free to see the sides go in level at the break – 0-8 to 0-8.

Trumera started the second half brightly which saw them take the lead through Conor Madden. Ballacolla refused to go away and quickly responded with a point from Chris Rafter.

The sides continued to trade points before Trumera took a two point lead with just under twenty minutes remaining.

However, Ballacolla began to dominate in midfield as they won every breaking ball to allow them to score four points without reply through Kevin Mulhall, Shane Hanlon and a brace from Bergin.

Sinnott stepped up to convert a free while Paddy Hosey scored a superb point from a tight angle, evading multiple challenges from the Ballacolla defence, to leave the game level again at the water break – 0-14 each.

Trumera began to take control of the game after the water break as Madden, Joey Coogan and Donnacha Dowling all pointed to give them a comprehensive lead.

Ballacolla’s hopes of a comeback were soon dashed as Johnny Finnane was sent off for an off the ball incident to see Ballacolla go down to 13 men.

Sinnott nailed over a brace of frees in injury time to see them win by four points and book their place in this year’s final.

SCORERS – Clough-Ballacolla: Chris Rafter 0-4 (two frees), Damien Bergin 0-6 (four frees), Shane Hyland 0-2, Shane Hanlon 0-1, Canice Coonan 0-1, Darragh Hogan 0-1 Trumera: Niall Sinnott 0-9 (all frees), Paddy Hosey 0-3, Conor Madden 0-2 (one free), Cathal Brophy 0-2, Rhys Murphy 0-1, Donnacha Dowling 0-1, Joey Coogan 0-1

CLOUGH-BALLACOLLA:  Tommy Nolan; Finbarr Conway, John Keane, Darragh Hogan; John Doyle, Brendan McEvoy, Johnny Finane; Craig Saunders, Ciaran Finane; Shane Hanlon, Damien Bergin, Chris Rafter; Kevin Mulhall, Canice Coonan, Shane Hyland

TRUMERA: Ronan Kavanagh; Paul McSpadden, John O’Connor, Gearoid O’Neill; Paddy Callaghan, Caolan Murphy, Bryan Bredin; Conor Madden, Donnacha Dowling; Rhys Murphy, Shane Murphy, Niall Sinnott; Cathal Brophy, Dylan Lalor, Paddy Hosey. Subs: Adam Kirwan for S Murphy (34), Joey Coogan for Lalor (37)

Referee: Ronan Devanny (Camross)

SEE ALSO – Find all the LaoisToday podcasts here

Previous articleAll of Saturday’s Laois GAA results on another busy day of action
Next articleKeyes leads the way as Colt-Shanahoe stay up and send Mountrath packing