Portlaoise Athletic Club are delighted to link up with Laois Sport Partnership to present the “Virtual 5k of Laois” in March.
With our annual couch to 5k and Streets of Portlaoise cancelled this year it’s a great boost to have this event to look forward.
The present lockdown is really testing on us all , and we are calling on people of all ages and ability to get involved and walk or run a virtual 5k in the five day period from 17th March.
Along with the physical and mental benefits the added bonus is the feel good factor of supporting the local guide dogs for the blind in their brilliant work and fund more activity programmes for people with visual impairments through Laois Sports Partnership Sports Inclusion Disability programme and Portlaoise AC. Best of luck to all those signing up and following our training programme.
“We are all familiar about the importance of a healthy mind in a healthy body,” said Caroline Myers Laois Sports Partnership.
“Research indicates, and it has been our experience in LSP that modest amount of exercise can make a difference no matter a person’s age or fitness levels.
“Exercise, Caroline said is a powerful tool to feel better, and given our current circumstances with Covid-19 building an exercise routine into our daily lives can and will enhance our wellbeing”.
The Government Plan for Living with COVID-19: Resilience and Recovery 2020-2021 highlighted the important role that individual and community resilience will play in contributing to our ongoing response to COVID-19.
Aengus Burke Portlaoise AC said “COVID-19 has brought many challenges and a lot of stress to people and this is why we want to support people to get out and get active and to challenge them to a virtual Laois 5k to be the best they can be whether it be to walk/run/wheel”.
In 2020 Laois Sports Partnership launched our first C25K programme for people with visual impairments with Portlaoise AC. The programme was very successful, with participants being able to enjoy guide running for the first time with the support of other athletes from the running club.
We want to build on the success of this programme which you can support by registering and taking part!
Portlaoise AC will be here to support you:
- Portlaoise AC will be here to support you through your journey to completing a 5km at whatever pace you can.
- Couch to 5k training plans available for beginners and advanced.
- No fancy gadgets needed just an open mind to believe you can!
- Don’t be afraid of trying it, you WILL surprise yourself. We would love to help you with this.
- NB: This is a virtual event
- You can complete your 5k time between 17th – 21st March.
- Please ensure you adhere to the most recent Government guidelines at all times while taking part in this virtual event. https://www.gov.ie/en/campaigns/c36c85-covid-19-coronavirus/
- There is a limited number of commemorative t-shirts for participants who wish to register for them when booking (optional for the first 300 registrations)
- T-shirt sizes are limited and will be issued on a first come, first served basis
- T-shirts will be sent to participants by post. Please note: Participants who register after the 10th of March may not receive their t-shirts in time for the event, early registration advised!
- This is not a timed event, but if you wish to submit your time you can do so by emailing your Name & Time to email@example.com