Home Gaelic Football Club Football Quigley the hero as Timahoe strike very late to see off The...

Quigley the hero as Timahoe strike very late to see off The Rock

Brendan Quigley was is getting ready for another season
Brendan Quigley

The Rock 0-11 Timahoe 1-9
Laois Intermediate Football Championship

Timahoe have sealed their place in the IFC quarter finals following a dramatic victory over The Rock in Annanough tonight.

This will be the first time in three years that the Timahoe men are not battling relegation and they did it thanks to a last gasp goal from veteran Brendan Quigley.

Sean Dempsey’s charges looked dead and buried as they trailed by two points with the game in injury time only for Quigley’s goal to save them and spark wild scenes of celebration at full time.

This was the second time in a row that The Rock have been beaten late as Evan O’Carroll did the same to them for Crettyard two weeks ago and they will now face either Portlaoise or Arles-Kilcruise in the relegation final.

It was Sean Ramsbottom who got the game underway with a point before Colum Dunne doubled Timahoe’s lead soon after.

Aaron Dowling scored a brace to level the game but Colum Dunne replied with a point to give Timahoe the lead at the water break – 0-3 to 0-2.

Timahoe came extended their lead to three via Brendan Quigley and Dunne. However, The Rock edged their way back into the game as they began to dominate the second quarter.

The Rock scored five points in a row via Stephen McDonald (three), Sean O’Neill and Aaron Dowling which saw them take the lead at the interval – 0-7 to 0-5.

The second half got off to a slow start before Damien O’Connor levelled the game on the 38th minute.

Timahoe were rewarded for their dominance after half time as they took the lead with fifteen minutes remaining through Sean Ramsbottom and Conor Whelehan.

But Shane O’Connell pointed for The Rock at the water break to leave the side all square once again – 0-9 to 0-9.

Both teams had chances to take the lead in the final quarter but it was David Murphy who gave The Rock the lead with seven minutes remaining.

The Rock appeared to have wrapped up the game when Shane O’Connell pointed as we approached additional time – 0-11 to 0-9.

But there was one last twist to come as Brendan Quigley’s wonder strike turned the game back Timahoe’s way and they held on to win.

SCORERS – The Rock: Aaron Dowling 0-4 (three frees), Stephen McDonald 0-3, Shane O’Connell 0-2, Sean O’Neill and David Murphy 0-1 each Timahoe: Brendan Quigley 1-1, Colum Dunne 0-4 (two frees), Sean Ramsbottom 0-2, Conor Whelehan and Damien O’Connor 0-2 each

THE ROCK: Conor Allen; Ben Storey, Fionn Kirwan, Niall Dunne; Anavil Storey, Conor Flynn, Victor Oladapo; Diarmuid Joyce, Sean O’Neill; Evan Dempsey, Stephen Conroy, Wesley Bergin; Shane O’Connell, Stephen McDonald, Aaron Dowling. Subs: Ciaran Conroy for Ben Storey (HT), Ben Carroll for Dempsey (48), Jock Pedro for Flynn (52), David Murphy for Bergin (52).

TIMAHOE: Eoin Culleton; James O’Connor, Joe O’Connor, Graham Devitt; Sean Daly, Andy Daly, Conor Whelehan; Damien O’Connor, Geoff Kennedy; Sean Ramsbottom, Mark O’Connell, Daire McDonald; Colm Lalor, Brendan Quigley, Colum Dunne. Subs: Micheal Kerr for Kennedy (HT), Martin Bergin for Lalor (36), James Whelehan for O’Connell (54).

Referee: Clifford Ward (Portarlington)

Previous articleClonaslee spring as surprise to knock-out Ballylinan and reach Round 3
Next articlePark-Ratheniska on song again to record big win over Crettyard