Home Sport GAA Extra time heartbreak for Laois Ladies as Wexford end Leinster Intermediate championship...

Extra time heartbreak for Laois Ladies as Wexford end Leinster Intermediate championship dreams

Laois Ladies new (2)

Laois 4-14 Wexford 4-16 (AET)
Leinster Ladies Intermediate Football Championship Semi Final 

The Laois Ladies were knocked out of the Leinster Intermediate football championship following an extra time loss against Wexford.

Donie Brennan’s charges held an 11 point lead with 34 minutes played but failed to score for the remainder of the second half.

It looked like that would not matter as they still led by six with a minute of normal time to play but Wexford scored two goals to force extra time where they eventually won the game.

Laois played with the wind in the first half but it was Wexford who took the lead through Bernie Breen.

However, Laois’s response was emphatic as they blitzed Wexford in the five minutes that followed.

Eva Galvin set up Laura Marie Maher for a well taken goal to get their scoring underway.

Mo Nerney, back from injury, struck for a brace while Maher and Erone Fitzpatrick also pointed to give Laois a six point lead.

But Laois shipped five goals against Wicklow last week and it was always unlikely they would keep a clean sheet – a quest that ended in the ninth minute when Aisling Murphy rattled the net.

However, Laois’s reply was instant as a swift handpassing move from the resulting kick-out ended with Mo Nerney scoring the game’s third goal as only ten minutes had elapsed.

Aisling Murphy and Fitzpatrick traded points before Laois struck the net again at the midpoint of the half.

Ellen Healy won a Wexford kick-out and played a neat one-two with Eva Galvin before drilling the ball low to the corner to make it 3-6 to 1-2.

Laois added another through Nerney but then Wexford enjoyed a purple patch.

Tara Doyle, Ellen O’Brien and Catriona Murray all pointed and Wexford almost had a second goal too but Doyle was unlucky to see her shot come back off the crossbar.

That rattled Laois and they missed a number of chances but then took a big one just before half time.

They showed great patience in the build up before a fantastic pass from Anna Healy set up Eva Galvin to rattle the net.

But that would not be the final act as Wexford broke up field and Tara Doyle burst through for the game’s sixth goal to leave it 4-7 to 2-5 at half time.

Laois introduced top scorer Emma Lawlor at half time and she instantly extended their lead to nine before Mo Nerney made it ten.

Wexford had the wind but could make no impact as Nerney scored again to leave 11 in it with 34 minutes on the clock.

Incredibly though, Laois would not score again for the remainder of the half.

Wexford made a double change and one of those, Emma Tomkins, kicked their first score of the new half with Tara Doyle quickly adding another.

Doyle landed another two scores from frees and Laois’s lead was now down to seven at the midpoint of the half – 4-10 to 2-9.

Sub Amy Wilson further cut the gap but the Laois defence really stood up after that with Aisling Donoher, who went back to full back, Ellen Healy, Coldagh Dunne, Amy Potts, Aimee Kelly and Rachel Williams all coming up with crucial interceptions.

With a minute of normal time left, and just as the game appeared to be petering out, Wexford worked a free short and Tara Doyle smashed in her second goal of the afternoon to set up an interesting final period as three minutes of additional time were signalled by the fourth official.

And Wexford drew level in the first minute of those when wing forward Orlagh Keogh smashed in a shot to the top corner from 21 yards out.

Tara Doyle had the chance to win it for Wexford with the final kick but her shot tailed wide and we headed for extra time – 4-10 apiece.

Laois’s scoring drought ended 50 seconds into the first half of extra time when, playing with the breeze, Erone Fitzpatrick kicked them back ahead.

But Wexford quickly regained the advantage with a brace of Tara Doyle points – one of which came from a free.

Laois were really struggling on their own kick-out and further Wexford scores followed as Orlagh Keogh pointed and Amy Wilson slotted two frees.

Emma Lawlor ended Wexford’s dominance with a point but the visitors took a 4-15 to 4-12 lead at half time in extra time and would now have the wind at their backs.

Laois began brightly though as Mo Nerney took her tally to 1-7 for the day and then followed that with a free six minutes from the end to leave one in it.

Bernie Breen returned for the injured Aisling Murphy and kicked Wexford two ahead.

Laois had a late chance for a goal when Mo Nerney’s 13 metre free was saved and the ball came back to Sarah Anne Fitzgerald but her fisted effort was cleared off the line and Wexford won.

SCORERS – Laois: Mo Nerney 1-8 (two frees), Laura Marie Maher 1-1, Erone Fitzpatrick 0-3, Eva Galvin 1-0, Ellen Healy 1-0, Emma Lawlor 0-2 Wexford: Tara Doyle 2-6 (four frees), Aisling Murphy 1-1, Orlagh Kehoe 1-1, Amy Wilson 0-3 (two frees), Catriona Murray 0-1, Bernie Breen 0-2, Ellen O’Brien 0-1, Emma Tomkins 0-1

LAOIS: Eimear Barry (Shanahoe); Clodagh Dunne (Ballyroan), Amy Potts (St Brigid’s), Aimee Kelly (St Conleth’s); Rachel Williams (Sarsfields), Ellen Healy (Portlaoise), Aisling Donoher (Timahoe); Jane Moore (St Brigid’s), Anna Healy (Park-Ratheniska); Eva Galvin (St Conleth’s), Laura-Marie Maher (Sarsfields), Erone Fitzpatrick (Park-Ratheniska); Mo Nerney (Timahoe), Sarah Anne Fitzgerald (Portlaoise), Shifra Havill (St Conleth’s). Subs: Emma Lawlor (St Paul’s) for Maher (ht, inj), Alanna Havill (St Conleth’s) for Fitzgerald (47), Anna Moore (St Brigid’s) for Galvin (51), Sinead Farrelly (St Jospeh’s) for Williams (57)

WEXFORD: Sarah Merrigan; Sarah Harding Kenny, Aisling Halligan, Shauna Murphy; Orlagh Kehoe, Roisin Murphy, Clara Donnelly; Tara Doyle, Ciara Banville; Sherene Hamilton, Bernie Breen, Kellie Kearney; Catriona Murray, Aisling Murphy, Ellen O’Brien Subs: Aoife Cullen for Kearney (27), Amy Walsh for Halligan and Emma Tomkins for Hamilton (both 40), Amy Wilson for Breen (46), Cathy O’Brien for Tomkins (82), Breen for Murphy (85, inj)

Referee: Paul O’Malley (Westmeath)

SEE ALSO – Check out all our ACFL Division 1A coverage here

Previous articleFoyle on form as Borris-Kilcotton too strong for Rosenallis in Division 1A
Next articleClough-Ballacolla and Castletown draw in thriller as Camross move top of Division 1A of the hurling league
Stradbally native Alan Hartnett is a graduate of Knockbeg College who has worked in the local and national media since 2008. Alan has a BA in Economics, Politics and Law and an MA in Journalism from DCU. His happiest moment was when Jody Dillon scored THAT goal in the Laois senior football final in 2016.