Home Sport GAA The Harps reach U-21 hurling decider after extra extra-time while further drama...

The Harps reach U-21 hurling decider after extra extra-time while further drama in U-21 football

It was a dramatic day in both the U-21 football and hurling championships in Laois.

The Harps reached the U-21 hurling final following a titanic struggle with Clough-Ballacolla while there was further drama in the U-21 football championship.

Here is a rundown of how the games went:

The Harps 1-13 Clough-Ballacolla 0-15 (After extra extra-time)
U-21 Hurling Championship Semi Final

It took 80 minutes to separate these two teams but it was The Harps who emerged victors after Fionn Whelan scored the point of the game in the second period of extra-time/

Clough-Ballacolla went two ahead but The Harps scored 1-2 without reply with David Doheny scoring the crucial goal for his side.

The Harps led for most of the game in an initally low-scoring affair, with The Harps leading 1-4 to four points at half-time.

December hurling caused difficult conditions and numerous frees on both sides.

The two teams went score for score in the second half and it was Lee Cleere who held Clough-Ballacolla in the game with a massive point to tie up the match with 60 minutes gone.
Both teams had chances to win it but missed.

Clough-Ballacolla went ahead in extra-time again, but The Harps came back before C/B scored a late free to force extra extra-time.

In the second period of extra-time, The Harps dug deep, defended brilliantly, didn’t cough up any frees and came away with a one point victory.

The Harps now play either Camross or Abbeyleix in the final.

SCORERS – The Harps: Ciaran Comerford 0-8, David Doheny 1-0, Padraig Dunne 0-2, Jim Kirby 0-1, Gareth Singh 0-1, Fionn Whelan 0-1 Clough-Ballacolla: Chris Rafter 0-7 (0-6 frees) Jordan Walshe 0-2, Robbie Phelan 0-2, John Dwyer 0-2, Mark Hennessy 0-1, Lee Cleere 0-1

THE HARPS: Lorcan Fitzpatrick; Padraig Dunne, Daniel Comerford, Eoin Doheny; Cathal Phelan, Podge Delaney, Shane Fitzpatrick; Aaron O’Grady, David Doheny; Ciaran Comerford, Fionn Whelan, Evan Deegan; Gareth Singh, Jonathan Doyle, Jim Kirby Subs: Thomas Walsh for J Doyle, Billy McEvoy (on for card)

CLOUGH-BALLACOLLA: Cathal Dunne; Finbar Conway, Craig Saunders, Matthew Bergin; Brian Corby, Lee Cleere, Ben Delaney; Robbie Phelan, Stephen Hally; Chris Rafter, John Dwyer, Evan Hawkes; Mark Hennessy, Jordan Walshe, Sean Phelan


The U-21 football championship is still in the early stages but just one of the two games scheduled to take place actually went ahead.

Graiguecullen and Portlaoise met in Round 1 for the second successive week the the Town prevailing.

The sides played on Friday December 7 but with Graiguecullen well ahead in the closing stages, the game was abandoned when a Graiguecullen player suffered a serious head injury.

The match was replayed last night and Portlaoise turned it all around to win by 2-7 to 1-4. They will now advance to meet Portarlington in the semi final.

Meanwhile, the preliminary round game between Courtwood-Emo and Stradbally Parish Gaels did not go ahead today.

Courtwood-Emo informed the County Board this morning that they would not be in a position to play the game.

Laois GAA have decided that Stradbally Parish Gaels will now advance to the quarter final where they will play St Joseph’s.

The winner of that game faces Ballyroan-Abbey Gaels in the semi final.

Laois 1-18 Carlow 2-23

It was a disappointing day out for the Laois hurlers today. See full report here.

SEE ALSO – Laois Ladies claim All-Ireland Cross Country glory