Home Sport GAA Dowling and Gaughan lead Camross to U-21 hurling glory

Dowling and Gaughan lead Camross to U-21 hurling glory

Camross U-21 hurling championship final 2018 team

Camross 1-15 The Harps 0-12
Laois Shopping Centre U-21 Hurling Championship Final

Mark Dowling and Eoin Gaughan were the stars of the show as Camross defeated The Harps in the U-21 hurling championship final in the LOETB Centre of Excellence this afternoon.

The sharp-shooting forwards, who played key roles in their senior success a few months ago, were in brilliant form today and scored 1-11 between them as their side gained revenge over The Harps who defeated them in the U-19 final last month.

There were heroic performances all over the field with Rob Tyrell dominating midfield while Andrew Mortimer held the show together at centre back and was deservedly named man of the match.

It brings to an end a year which saw the club contest the Senior, U-21, U-19, Intermediate and Junior B finals – winning two of them.

For The Harps, it brings to a close a season where they contested the Senior A, Minor, U-19 and U-21 finals.

In a low scoring first half, Camross began well with points from Eoin Gaughan and Mark Dowling – the latter a super point from the wing.

The Harps took nine minutes to register their first score, which came via Gareth Singh, and then we had to wait until the midpoint of the half for the next point. That came thanks to Ciaran Comerford and the sides were level.

Eoin Gaughan and Evan Deegan then traded a brace of frees before a third from Deegan gave The Harps the lead for the first time with five first half minutes to play.

However, Camross finished the half with two more Gaughan points and one from Oisin Bennett to leave them ahead by 0-7 to 0-5 at the interval.

After a low scoring start to the first half, we had a frantic start to the second.

Camross initially extended their lead via Mark Dowling but we were level again after 35 minutes thanks to three The Harps points in a row – coming via Podge Delaney, Gareth Singh and Evan Deegan.

However, Camross steadied with two Gaughan frees and dealt The Harps a real blow after 40 minutes when Mark Dowling, after some great work by full forward Darren Drennan rifled a shot to the back of Lorcan Fitzpatrick’s net from close range.

The Harps then lost the influential Ciaran Comerford to injury and it was always going to be an uphill battle from there.

Oisin Bennett and Eoin Gaughan extended Camross’ lead while an Evan Deegan point for The Harps left six between them as we entered the final quarter.

Cathal Phelan reduced that further but Camross pushed on again with scores from Gaughan and Rob Tyrell.

The Harps kept going with two Evan Deegan frees but it was goals they needed at this stage and they never came.

Instead, Camross captain Darren Drennan had the final say with the final point before he went on to receive the cup.

SCORERS – CAMROSS: Eoin Gaughan 0-9 (six frees), Mark Dowling 1-2, Oisin Bennett 0-2, Rob Tyrell 0-1, Darren Drennan 0-1 THE HARPS: Evan Deegan 0-7 (five frees), Ciaran Comerford 0-1, Gareth Singh 0-2, Podge Delaney 0-1, Cathal Phelan 0-1

The Harps U-21 Hurling Championship Final 2018 team

CAMROSS: Cillian Tiernan; Colin Palmer, Daniel Breen, David Brickley; Cian Delaney, Andrew Mortimer, Eoin Dowling; Craig Carroll, Rob Tyrell; Oisin Bennett, Eoin Gaughan, Odhran Phelan; Mark Dowling, Darren Drennan, Joseph Ryan. Subs: Niall Bennett for J Ryan (50m), Tomas Palmer for Mortimer (59m, inj)

THE HARPS: Lorcan Fitzpatrick; Eoghan Doheny, Daniel Comerford, Padraig Dunne; Cathal Phelan, Podge Delaney, Shane Fitzpatrick; Daniel Doheny, Aaron O’Grady; Evan Deegan, Fionn Whelan, Ciaran Comerford; Gareth Singh, Jonathan Doyle, Emmet Fitzpatrick. Subs: Thomas Walsh for C Comerford (41m, inj), Billy McEvoy for E Doyle and Padraig Walsh for S Fitzpatrick (both 59m)

Referee: Brochan O’Reilly (Portlaoise)

Previous article2018 Remembered – Portlaoise man reveals secret behind incredible 10 stone weight loss
Next article2018 Remembered – Laois GAA club suffers sickening weekend attack by ‘idiots’