Home Sport GAA Mountrath CS lose out in South-Leinster final in horrific conditions

Mountrath CS lose out in South-Leinster final in horrific conditions

Mountrath Community School senior football team

Mountrath CS 0-5 Presentation De La Salle Bagenalstown 0-11
Top Oil South Leinster Post Primary School Senior Football ‘C’ Final

The rain fell like ice from the sky and the wind blew in gale-force-fashion as Mountrath Community School lost out to Presentation De La Salle Bagenalstown in Killeshin this afternoon.

In truly atrocious conditions with temperatures just above freezing, it was the Laois lads failure to score enough when playing with the wind that ultimately cost them in the end.

Mountrath played with the wind in the first half and made a brilliant start with three points in the first ten minutes.

Paul O’Flynn and Danny Flanagan both judged the wind to perfection to score from considerable distance to get things underway before full forward Seth Burns Mooney added another.

However, Bagnelstown were a physically powerful team and they had a lot of possession in the first half which allowed them to stay close to Mountrath.

Centre forward Pauric O’Connell landed two close range frees and Mountrath keeper Eoin Connolly had to pull off a fine save just before half time to keep the Laois school ahead.

Mountrath did add one more point from a Paul O’Flynn free after a fine run by Tadhg Cuddy to give them a 0-4 to 0-2 lead at the break.

Mountrath faced a second half against the wind and they dropped the versatile duo of Tadhg Cuddy and Seth Burns Mooney back as sweepers in an effort to frustrate Bagnelstown.

That worked for a while but eventually the Carlow side began to poke holes in Mountrath’s defence as Cormac Lomax and Pauric O’Connor were among the scorers as they drew level and then went ahead.

Fiach O’Toole swung over a brace as Bagnelstown took a seven point lead as we approached the final ten minutes of the half.

Mountrath were really pinned back at this stage but they kept going and went looking for goals in the final period.

Sean O’Flynn came closest with a 13 metre free that just whistled over the bar and while there were a few goalmouth scrambles, Bagnelstown held on for the win.

SCORERS – MOUNTRATH: Paul O’Flynn 0-2 (one free), Seth Burns Mooney, Danny Flanagn and Sean O’Flynn (free) 0-1 each

MOUNTRATH CS: Eoin Connolly (Ballyfin); Ben Shore (Slieve Bloom), Thomas Scully (Emo), Gearoid O’Neill (Trumera); Sean Greene (Emo), Allan Connolly (Ballyfin), Nathan Little (Courtwood); Sean O’Flynn (Courtwood), Ned Ryan (Emo); Paul O’Flynn (Courtwood), Evan Power (Slieve Bloom), Tadhg Cuddy (Castletown), Jack Priestley (Ballyfin), Seth Burns Mooney (Courtwood), Danny Flanagan (Kinnity). Subs: Conor Walsh (Castletown) for Power and Adam Connolly (Ballyfin) for Priestley (both 55m)

Referee: Brendan Hickey (Graiguecullen)

SEE ALSO – Tributes paid to ‘much-loved, gentle and endearing’ Abbeyleix parish priest