There was shock among the community in Abbeyleix as an overnight fire occurred in Quinn’s Tea Rooms in the early hours of Monday morning.
Laois Fire Service units from Abbeyleix and Durrow were called to the scene at 5.35am were considerable damage occurred.
The scene was cleared and no-one was injured. Assistant Chief Fire Officer Anthony Tynan says there’s no suspicion of foul play.
Taking to the Quinn’s Tea Rooms Facebook page, owner Marie said that the tea rooms will be closed for the ‘forseeable future’.
“With deep sadness I wish to advise my loyal and regular customers that Quinn’s Tea Rooms will remained closed for the foreseeable future due to extensive smoke and water damage following a fire earlier this morning.
She also expressed heartfelt thanks to those who helped with the shocking situation – particularly Abbeyleix and Durrow fire crews.
“I would like to thank the emergency services for dealing with such a devastating situation so well.
“A special thanks to both Abbeyleix and Durrow Fire crews for going over and above their call of duty and putting their lives at risk to contain the fire from doing more widespread damage.
“To see a business you have worked so hard to establish and grow for over 36 years literally disappear in front of your eyes is heart breaking. My sole focus from now is towards my dedicated staff and rebuilding my business as soon as possible.”
“Finally our family would like to extend their deep gratitude to our neighbours, fellow businesses, colleagues and friends who have contacted us to offer support, too many to contact individually,” said Marie.
Speaking to Midlands 103, Anthony Tynan, Assistant Chief Fire Officer spoke about the damage caused by the fire.
He said: “Well obviously the fire has created a good bit of damage, so the fighters now will have to go about getting the place made good again, so there was considerable damage from the fire absolutely, and from the smoke.