Home News Crime Teenager arrested in connection with murder of Laois man released without charge

Teenager arrested in connection with murder of Laois man released without charge

A teenage girl who was arrested on suspicion of murder in relation to the investigation into the whereabouts of Laois man William Delaney has been released.

The teenager and a man in his 30s were detained regarding an investigation on the whereabouts of 56 year old William Delaney on Thursday.

The man is currently still being held in Portlaoise Garda Station while the woman was taken to Tullamore Garda Station for questioning.

Meanwhile, Gardai and members of the Defence Forces have suspended their search for a missing Laois at the Rock of Dunamase.

William Delaney, a native of Tipperary but resident in Fieldbrook in Portlaoise in recent times, went missing on January 31 and the Gardai issued a missing persons report on March 12.

The Rock of Dunamase had been under lockdown since the afternoon of Tuesday June 18 after Gardai were told that the remains of Mr Delaney had been buried there.

However, after searching for the last four days, nothing has been found that would indicate that Mr Delaney or a body of any description is there.

The interviewing of the man, who was being detained at Portlaoise Garda, was suspended as he required medical treatment.

Speaking to RTE News, William’s wife Bridget said she just wants to bring her husband home.

She said: “We want him found no matter what. We want to bring his remains and let him rest in peace.”

Also speaking to the channel, William’s son John Paul Delaney said the family just want answers.

He said: “We’d like answers and we want to know what happened and if my father is dead or wherever he is.

“We want his body to bring him home and lay him to rest. His family are in bits – his brothers and sisters. Everyone is terrible upset over this because he is gone five months.

“Nobody knows where he is and we deserve justice. We deserve answers.”

Meanwhile William’s daughter Bridget hopes her dad comes home safe and well.

She said: “We just want him to come home well and safe. Hopefully this won’t be true and he comes home alive.

“We are very, very worried about him and we want him to come home well and safe.”

On Tuesday of this week, a woman walked into Portlaoise Garda station where she claimed he had been killed and buried in a shallow grave at the Rock of Dunamase.

According to the Irish Sun the woman made the statement after she was contacted by a man at a funeral who confessed what he had done to her.

William Delaney is described as 5’6″ of medium build, black/grey hair and blue eyes.

LaoisToday contacted the Office of Public Works, who manage the Rock, but they say they do not comment on ongoing investigations.

Gardai confirmed they are investigating an incident while the Defence Forces say they are assisting Gardai in a missing persons case.

SEE ALSO – Son of missing Laois man makes public plea as Rock of Dunamase search continues

Previous articlePeake powers Sarsfields to ‘A’ success and St Brigid’s and Shanahoe walk away victors in U12 LGFA Heather Cowan Tournament
Next articleLIVE BLOG: Follow all the action as Laois face Derry in Round 2 of the All-Ireland Qualifiers