Home Gaelic Football Club Football All square as Spink and Killeshin must do battle another day

All square as Spink and Killeshin must do battle another day

GAA return

Brought to you in association with Kinsella Financial

Killeshin 2-12 Spink 1-15
Laois Shopping Centre JFC Round 3

It was a game which Killeshin will feel they could have crossed the victory line, but two late Daniel Bergin points in the dying minutes of the game means that both Spink and Killeshin will have to meet again in this JFC battle.

It didn’t always look in Killeshin’s hands, however. It wasn’t until the half second until the recorded a substantial lead on their opponents in Bill Delaney Park.

Paul Simms got Spink off the mark just 45 seconds after Vincent Dowling threw in the ball for his first of six points in Stradbally this evening.

Killeshin replied via Patrick Walsh, his handpass over the bar coming off a searing run from Gerard Kelly.

Spink goalkeeper Damien Walsh was called on early, his stop on a James Doogue effort keeping the Spink men on a clean sheet for the first 30 minutes.

Kelly gathered the second point for the Killeshin men himself, his solo dummy enough to shake off the Spink defence and lodge the ball off the crossbar and over.

Simms pushed the Spink men to regain their lead on the five minute mark.

A point from play and a free just inside the 45’ teeing up their advantage before Laois hurler Cha Dwyer showed his range to fling the ball over the post to make it 0-4 to the Spink men.

An unmarked Daniel Bergin collected Spink’s fifth of the game, Simms finding his centre-forward on the 21 yard line.

Killeshin earned their first point after an eight minute wait through James Doogue, before Simms came in with his fourth point of the evening, returning Spink’s advantage to three.

Evan Dunne was working hard to create opportunities for his two-man Spink full-forward line, and his ball off to Killian Breen ended in Simms finding the post with an immaculate shot through the uprights.

Killeshin kept the points ticking over through frees from Alan Davis and Wright before another Simms conversion and Bergin free left Spink on nine points at the interval.

A final Wright point on the cusp of half time cut the deficit to three at the break.

Killeshin would manage to turn this around in the opening minutes of the second half, primarily through Wright and Alan Brennan.

It was Simms again who got Spink out of the starting blocks first after the break, but Walsh hit back to retain the deficit at three with a shot of his own.

Cathal Byrne did immense work in setting up his men inside, Walsh gathering what the half back delivered in.

As Gerard Kelly won the opposing Spink kickout, his delivery to Alan Brennan saw the full-forward cut Spink’s lead to a mere two points.

Walsh would change this. He and Brennan teamed up to send the ball coursing into the back of the Spink net for Killeshin to go a point ahead after 35 minutes.

However this would not last for long. Killeshin barely had time to re-group as Eoin Simms proved the catalyst in raising the next green flag a mere minute later.

His turnover in possession and work out the field on the ball was picked up by O’Reilly, who found Podge Lalor with the pass for the midfielder to blast the ball into the goals.

Killeshin’s next three-pointer was not long coming. As Gerard Kelly soloed through the Spink defence and forced his shot into the net, he regained a one point advantage for the men in white and green.

Walsh and Bergin traded frees to make it Killeshin 2-10 Spink 1-12.

With their lead re-established, Walsh and Alan Davis pushed on Killeshin to go three points ahead with 10 minutes left on the clock.

At this stage, Killeshin tried to hold onto possession and run down the clock. But stellar work from Kieran Bowe and Eoin Simms in overturning possesion meant the points slowly but surely racked up for the Spink men.

Spink were searching for a goal, but made do with points from Lalor (1) and Daniel Bergin (2) to finish all square in this round 3 showdown tonight.

SCORERS – Killeshin: Patrick Walsh 1-7 (0-3 frees), Gerard Kelly 1-1, Alan Davis 0-2 (0-1 free), Alan Brennan 0-1, James Doogue 0-1 Spink: Paul Simms 0-6 (0-2 frees), Daniel Bergin 0-6 (0-2 frees), Podge Lalor 1-1, Ronan O’Reilly 0-1, Cha Dwyer 0-1

KILLESHIN: Shane Whelan; Stephen Moran, Adam Brennan; Alan Davis, Cathal Byrne, Kevin Brennan; Darragh McDonald, Eddie Hand, Aaron McGrath; Owen Scully, Gerard Kelly, James Doogue; Liam Doran, Alan Brennan, Patrick Walsh Subs: Colin Dunne for L Doran (26 minutes, injured), Paschal Brennan for E Hand (51 minutes), Evan Galligan for C Dunne (56 minutes)

SPINK: Damien Walsh; Enda Kehoe, Kieran Bowe, David Bergin; Evan Dunne, Patrick Gorman, Eoin Simms; Cha Dwyer, Podge Lalor; Seamus Miller, Daniel Bergin, Killian Breen; Paul Simms, Ronan O’Reilly, Tony O’Shaughnessy. Subs: Brendan Keogh, Adrian McCartney

Referee: Vincent Dowling (O’Dempseys)

SEE ALSO – Four Laois men feature for Leinster and Connacht rugby sides this weekend

Previous articleThe Heath see off Camross after second-half saga in Laois JFC
Next articleProdigal son Walsh hits 11 points as Ballylinan recover well to beat Courtwood
Siún Lennon joined LaoisToday in a full-time capacity after studying Journalism and New Media in the University of Limerick. She hails from Rosenallis and her interests vary from news, sports and politics.