Home Gaelic Football Club Football The Heath see off Camross after second-half saga in Laois JFC

The Heath see off Camross after second-half saga in Laois JFC

Brought to you in association with Kinsella Financial

The Heath 2-13 Camross 1-12
Laois Shopping Centre JFC Round 3

The Heath are through to the quarter-finals of the Laois JFC ‘A’ after overcoming Camross in Raheen on Saturday night.

They were made to wait for the win too, as the second half stretched to 43 minutes in an increasingly fractious and frantic affair. The Heath had started well but found themselves behind at half time, and managed to get their noses in front midway through the second half and eventually emerged victorious.

Camross will be left to rue a late missed penalty from Rob Tyrell, as his effort was brilliant saved by The Heath goalkeeper Billy Hennessy.

The Heath could hardly have asked for a better start, as they had a goal inside the first minute. Jack Delaney’s high ball into the penalty area was deftly touched down by Shane Booth to Cathal Whelan, and he side-footed a shot to the bottom corner. Whelan followed up with a point a minute later, and The Heath were up and running.

It was far from one-way traffic though, and Camross will wonder how it took them so long to draw level. Mark Dowling and Eoin Gaughan both hit the post with shots for goal, while Andrew Mortimer and Rob Tyrell also wasted glorious goal chances. Tyrell eventually opened their account with a free in the sixth minute.

Cathal Whelan replied for The Heath by putting the finishing touches to a nice move, and Conor Booth sent them five clear soon after. Camross remained a threat though, and they soon showed what they were capable of.

Rob Tyrell kicked his second point and then Mark Dowling finally got the goal they had been threatening for so long, his powerful shot flying into the top corner. A brace of points from Tyrell followed, and Camross were ahead for the first time.

They had the better of what remained in the first half, and every time they ran at The Heath defence they looked threatening. The Heath drew level by the 26th minute, but two more points from Tyrell saw Camross lead 1-8 to 1-6 at the interval.

The early stages of the second half were cagey, with both sides pointing twice in the opening five minutes, and then no score was registered for the next ten.

When the drought finally ended, it was a crucial score for The Heath. Cathal Whelan was bundled over in the penalty area, and Conor Booth held his nerve to dispatch a brilliant penalty to the back of the net.

That set up an exciting end to the game, but few in attendance could have expected it to go on for so long. The Heath were four up at the end of normal time thanks to some excellent points from Leon Holland, but they were put under the cosh for another 12 minutes.

Camross pointed in the 62nd minute and The Heath replied in the 68th, but Camross really needed a goal. They were presented with a glorious chance to get one in the 69th minute when they were awarded a penalty, but Rob Tyrell’s effort was batted away by Billy Hennessy.

There was still time for three more minutes of play, but no more scores arrived and The Heath held on for the win.

SCORERS – Camross: Rob Tyrell 0-8 (0-6 frees), Mark Dowling 1-1, Oisín Bennett 0-3. The Heath: Cathal Whelan 1-5 (0-2 frees), Conor Booth 1-3 (1-0 pen, 0-1 free), Leon Holland 0-4 (0-1 free), Donal Bigley 0-1.

CAMROSS: Daniel Delaney; Colin Palmer, Andrew Collier, Tadgh Drennan; Dwane Palmer, Matthew Collier, Andrew Mortimer; Robert Tyrell, Eoin Gaughan; Orrie Phelan, Tadhg Doran, Niall Bennett; Oisín Bennett, Thomas Dunphy, Mark Dowling. Subs: Kevin Lalor for O Phelan (46 mins), Craig Delaney for N Bennett (49 mins), Michael Buckley for C Palmer (52 mins), Craig Carroll for Dunphy (56 mins), Colin Palmer for Drennan (61 mins)

THE HEATH: Billy Hennessy; David Phelan, Conor Fitzpatrick, David Conroy; Jordan Ratcliffe, Kevin Bergin, Seamus O’Connor; Donal Bigley, Seamus Mulhare; Gareth O’Brien, Jack Delaney, Conor Booth; Leon Holland, Shane Booth, Cathal Whelan. Subs: Conor Hyland for Whelan (blood sub, 5-7 mins), Conor Hyland for O’Connor (43 mins), Benny Conroy for Whelan (56 mins, inj), Gary Hogan for S Booth (65 mins), Bob Delaney for Bergin (69 mins), Rory Walsh for Hogan (72 mins, BC)

Referee: Alo Maher (Portarlington)

SEE ALSO – Ballyfin go goal crazy against Arles-Killeen