Home Gaelic Football Club Football Late Campion winner secures victory for The Harps

Late Campion winner secures victory for The Harps

The Laois Ladies senior footballer championship has been delayed following an appeal

The Harps 3-9 Barrowhouse 0-17

Laois Shopping Centre JFC Round 3

A late goal from Lee Campion snatched victory from the jaws of defeat for The Harps against Barrowhouse in a dramatic encounter in Timahoe.

Right from the start both sides went at it hammer and tongs, The Harps getting off the mark with a free from Ciaran Comerford after two minutes, and Fergal Murphy completing a neat passing move to open Barrowhouse’s account.

The Harps midfielder Pat Walsh got his name on the scoresheet with a long-range effort, and they had an opportunity for a goal in the sixth minute, Barrowhouse full-back Thomas Page shown yellow for pulling down Ciaran Comerford through on goal.

Comerford converted the resulting free, and another long-range effort, this one from David Doheny, put The Harps three ahead.

Moments later, a move from The Harps’ forwards was eventually finished to the net by Aaron O’Grady, to give his side a six point lead.

Barrowhouse recovered from their slow start though, and managed to get the eight scores, beginning with a spectacular solo effort from Emmet Malone winning the kick-out, sprinting through The Harps’ defense and finishing it over the bar.

Two points from both Brian Malone and Martin Murphy, a free from Fergal Murphy, a 45′ from Emmet Malone and a point from Michael Langton brought Barrowhouse from six points behind to two points ahead approaching half-time, Ciaran Comerford pointed from a free to leave The Harps trailing by one at the interval, 0-9 to 1-5.

Barrowhouse began the second-half by extending their lead to three with two points from Emmet Malone, including a free, but The Harps fought back, a point from Shane Donohue and two frees from Comerford brought them back level with twenty minutes remaining.

A second point from Fergal Murphy put Barrowhouse back in front, and two yellow cards followed for The Harps for Pat Walsh and Richard Saunders, both for high tackles.

Malone made no mistake from the resulting free, and was on target with another one minutes later to extend the gap to three.

The Harps got themselves back on level terms moments later, when corner-forward Lee Campion weaved his way through the Barrowhouse full-back line, and finished it past Darragh Phelan to the net to make it a level game once again.

Two frees, from substitute Eric Mackey and Malone again, put Barrowhouse back ahead by two again.

Comerford cut the gap down to one with another free, but Malone converted his fifth free of the day to bring it back to two once again entering additional-time.

But The Harps didn’t give up, and worked the ball up the field to Niall Brophy in the left corner, who turned inside Denis Brophy before firing a ball into the goalmouth, Campion palming the ball to the net to put The Harps ahead by one.

Despite full-back Tommy Moore being shown yellow in the final minutes, The Harps didn’t surrender their lead, hanging on to secure the win and a place in the Quarter-Finals.

SCORERS – Barrowhouse: Emmet Malone 0-8 (five frees, one ‘45), Fergal Murphy 0-3, Brian Malone 0-2, Martin Murphy 0-2 (One free), Michael Langton 0-1, Eric Mackey 0-1 (free)                                    The Harps: Ciaran Comerford 0-6 (frees), Lee Campion 2-0, Aaron O’Grady 1-0, Pat Walsh 0-1, David Doheny 0-1, Shane Donohue 0-1

BARROWHOUSE: Darragh Phelan, Denis Brophy, Thomas Page, Thomas McDonald, Andrew Baldwin, Sean Langton, Steven Langton, Luke Malone, Martin Murphy, Emmet Malone, Brian Malone, James Baldwin, Scott Flynn, Michael Langton, Fergal Murphy Subs: James Brennan for Luke Malone, Eric Mackey for Scott Flynn, Martin Langton for James Baldwin

THE HARPS: John Finnegan, Darren Maher, Tommy Moore, Conor Brophy, Richard Saunders, Daniel Comerford, Padraig Dunne, Pat Walsh, David Doheny, Shane Donohue, Padraig Delaney, Niall Brophy, Aaron O’Grady, Ciaran Comerford, Lee Campion Subs: Thomas Walsh for Conor Brophy, Fionn Whelan for Shane Donohue

Referee: Eric Ward (Portarlington)

SEE ALSO – Check out all the Laois JFC Coverage here