Home Hurling Club Hurling Camross survive Castletown test to book semi-final place

Camross survive Castletown test to book semi-final place

Camross 0-24 Castletown 2-13
Laois Shopping Centre SHC Quarter-final

Camross’s hopes of winning a third Laois SHC title in a row remain on track after surviving a stern challenge from their neighbours Castletown in the quarter-final in O’Moore Park this evening.

They recovered from a six-point deficit early in the second half to completely dominate from there to the final whistle.

They limited Castletown to just three points in the second half and outscored them 0-13 to 0-3.

For the most part, it was right good contest.

After three rounds of shadow boxing and going through the motions, this was real championship hurling.

Camross, facing into a huge weekend for the club and going for an historic three senior titles in a row, raced into an early 0-4 to no score lead thanks to two points from Eoin Gaughan and one each from Ciaran Collier and Craig Carroll.

But Castletown quickly settled and found their groove. Ryan Mullaney pointed a long-range free, then Dylan Conroy got two frees in a row before adding one from play to have the sides level after ten minutes.

Indeed Castletown hit seven on the trot with John Gaughan and Mullaney adding monstrous efforts from play and Conor Phelan adding another.

Camross hit four of the next five to be back level at 0-8 each – Dean Delaney, Holmes, Carroll and Lorcan Burke – with a super effort from Gearoid Gaughan in response for Castletown.

The next score was the game’s first goal – Martin Phelan doing brilliantly along the endline to fire past Thomas Dunphy from a tight angle after 15 minutes.

Tomas Burke instantly replied with a point from play but Castletown soon struck for the game’s second goal. This time Martin Phelan responded quickest when a Ryan Mullaney free came back off the post and he broke free from the Camross defence to get enough power on his shot to beat Dunphy again, despite a touch from the keeper.

Dylan Conroy and Ryan Mullaney traded frees with Niall Holmes and Gearoid Burke but Castletown were fully deserving of their 2-10 to 0-11 lead at the break.

Camross eat into the lead in the second half, even if their shooting was horribly erratic at times.

Tomas Burke got two from play, Eoin Gaughan, Gearoid Burke and Andrew Collier got one each and Niall Holmes added a handful of frees. By the 50th minute the sides were level, Castletown managing only three points in the second half.

It was all Camross in that final quarter. Craig Carroll, who had a fine game, put them into the lead for the first time since the early stages of the first half and Holmes, Gaughan, Ciaran Collier and sub Darren Gilmartin all added points.

In all they hit the last eight points of the game.

Rathdowney-Errill or Clough-Ballacolla await in the semi-finals.

But for now the three-in-a-row lives on.

SCORERS – Camross: Niall Holmes 0-6 (frees), Eoin Gaughan 0-4, Craig Carroll 0-3, Tomas Burke 0-3, Lorcan Burke 0-2, Ciaran Collier 0-2, Gearoid Burke 0-1 (free), Dean Delaney 0-1, Andrew Collier 0-1 Darren Gilmartin 0-1 Castletown: Martin Phelan 2-1, Dylan Conroy 0-6 (four frees), Ryan Mullaney 0-3 (two frees), Gearoid Gaughan 0-1, Conor Phelan 0-1, John Gaughan 0-1

CAMROSS: Thomas Dunphy; Dwane Palmer, Joe Phelan, Andrew Mortimer; Darrell Dooley, Gearoid Burke, Lorcan Burke; Andrew Collier, Craig Carroll; Eoin Gaughan, Tomas Burke, Dean Delaney; Niall Holmes, Ciaran Collier, Mark Dowling. Subs: Darren Gilmartin for Delaney (44), Darren Gilmartin for T Burke (50)

CASTLETOWN: JP Bennett, Evan Cuddy, Fionan Cuddy, Martin Reddin; Shane Phelan, Ryan Mullaney, John Gaughan; Conor Phelan, Brendan Reddin; Gearoid Gaughan, Joe McCormack, Dylan Conroy; Aaron Gaughan, Martin Phelan, Shane Cuddy. Subs: Conor Walsh for G Gaughan (48)

REFEREE: Anthony Stapleton (Rathdowney-Errill)

SEE ALSO – Check out all our Laois SHC coverage here